Change from internal to external oil tank Mercury 2-stroke 90 hp 1995?

Andrik

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wonder if the oil pump on my Mercury 2-stroke 90 hp 1995 will manage to pump the oil up from an external oil tank? Then I will get rid of the traditional leakage from the top of the tank when the motor is tilted.

Does the gravity in the integrated tank have some effect on the oil flow, or wil lit work as well to use my old evinrude external oil-tank?

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
I removed mine last year and went to premix fuel

Last edited by a moderator:

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
Also, if I remember... the oil tank gets crank pressure to help push the oil out...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The oil tank on an Evinrude does not get pressure from the crankcase.-----The 1995 model 3 cylinder Mercury oil tank does NOT get pressure from the crankcase.-----V-6 Mercury motor do get air pressure on the oil tank to feed oil to the on board oil tank.------Be careful if you make changes to your 90 HP model oil supply.

Andrik

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, you think it will work - the oil pump will manage to pump the oil from the external tank? It is not the gravity that helps the oil to the pump?

Would be great to get rid of the oil leaking from the top of the internal tank whent the motor is tilted.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Careful if you make changes !------I doubt that your 90 HP has a no oil warning / shutdown feature.----Perhaps look into fixing / finding the leak.

Andrik

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is a weakness in the construction of the, it is common to still have a leak on top also after changing the gasket.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If there was a mistake made in 1995 there likely is a---- ' factory fix / retrofit "-----Contact a dealer.