2.4l thermostat question

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys i have an 89 2.4l mariner 175. Just replaced poppet valve and water pump for a on plane overheating issue which fixed the problem. Issue now is it does not want to get up to temp at idle. I pulled the thermostats and they seam to be working properly, open at around 140 and close around 115. I have noticed water coming out of the telltale immidiatly after starting, so is water supposed to be able to get past the thermostats before they open? I checked them and did not see any debris clogging them, but if i pop off the hoses coming fron the housing there is still water flow before they open. Are they supposed to be water tight or do they always allow a bit of water past them? Ordered a new set, just want to hear what you guys think thanks.

Dukedog

Captain
they jus run a lot cooler at idle normally.. stats open and close at right temps when tested they are fine... some of tha stat manufactures put a tiny "notch" in tha edge.. some a tiny hole.. some nothing at all.. really makes no difference as it seems ta be very few mercs act tha exact same way with tha coolin' junk.. as long as it shows pressure ona gauge and you DO NOT get a warning buzzer at ANY speed ya good ta go...……... jmo.

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
Awesome thanks, was worried about cold seizing, but it runs at the right temp while on plane just doesnt like to get warm at idle. I'll keep on fishin then, thanks

Dukedog

Captain
justa a little time at idle and/or very low rpm in "normal" water temps should do ok.. lower water temps takes a little longer.. problems comes from guys that turn tha key with both feet on tha floor first thing!.. then they ***** 'bout pos motors.

gl....

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
Gotcha, i always let it idle for a little while before taking off anyway. Thanks again