mercury bottom carb blowing out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercury bottom carb blowing out

1995 40hp 4cyl mercury running rough bottom carb is blowing out while motor is running I can cover carb with my hand and makes no difference in running. would it be compression blowing out? any suggestion or idea greatly appreciated. thanks

Now that sounds like a stuck/broken reed valve(s).

Comment

^^+1 Also my thoughts.
      '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

could the reeds be behind the carbs? Or hard to get to?

Comment

On a 4 cylinder they are internal on the crankshaft I believe.-------Your serial # is ?-----Not easy for a novice.to fix-------But there are other checks to do first !!!------Compression first.----Then check for spark on each lead and see if it jumps a 3/8" gap.-------Sounds like the bottom carb is flooding.--------The reeds are very reliable but could be held open by seagull feathers I suppose.

Comment

serial # og140424 model #40elpto thanks

Comment

If compression is good pull the carb bowls and clean them out, clean the floats. I had the same issue and it was a chuck of junk in the bowl.

Comment

This motor is driving me crazy. Bottom carb blowing out. I can cover completely makes no difference .I have tried all suggestions except reed valves, and now I find that the fuel pump is not working. I replace the pump, still not working. So could the pump not pumping be a symptom of reed valves. Thank you guys for your tips and ideas I am at wits end

Comment

I believe in inspection / trouble shooting.-----Did you take the old pump apart or did you just run out and spend $ and find that motor still does not work.----Sounds like you now have a good spare pump.-------With a bad reed valve you would not get crankcase compression, thus no pressure pulse to drive the pump.

Comment

So reed valves should be the problem? thanks

Comment

Did you replace the check valves in the pump as well?

Comment

I got a new pump, and had the old one inspected by a mechanic, the old pump was good too

Comment

Let's keep this all together in one thread.
                          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                          That is what the forums are for.
                          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                          X