Piston and cylinder problem

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
I just took apart my merc inline six head, removed pistons, one (#5) was bad and one (#3)was scored on side, all had 120 compression except #5 which had no compression before tear down. I plan on replacing all pistons and rings but do I have to rebore all cylinders? The cylinder wall on 5 and 3 (number three has next to zero mostly on the piston) have scratch marks that aren’t badly gouged but you can feel them running your fingers over them. How bad do the cylinder walls have to be before reboring?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your fingers aren't very good micrometers. Take the block to a machine shop. They can see it, feel it, measure it and tell what's needed. Hard for us to do that over the Internet.

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
Just noticed this, a crack in the exhaust port?

Attachments

• photo307962.jpg
    photo307962.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
You're into the job this deep, so go ahead and finish it properly. That motor will last a long time with a good rebuild. Check the price for a new O/B at your power. The machine shop charge will look like peanuts.

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
I can finish up but what about the crack on the inside of the exhaust port?

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
I have a picture on previous post and if you expand on pic then you can see the crack.

harringtondav

Commander
I'd still take your block to a machine shop for evaluation. They may be able to get in there and weld it.
Crack.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is that an exhaust port or intake " boost port " or what.-----And what is on the other side of that crack.-----Have you taken a look ?

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
It’s on the exhaust port and cracked where the support? Finger comes out from port, cannot see any cracking behind it but will take off exhaust cover to check

Attachments

• photo307987.jpg
    photo307987.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I do ot believe that is the exhaust side of the block !

I tend to agree with you seeing the new pic. The exhaust port looks like its at 6 o'clock in the pic. Its opening is closer to TDC than the four scavenge ports, where it's supposed to be. I don't know what that cracked notch is. I looks like an enclosed little cave cut in with an end mill at an angle. Maybe some kind of swirl feature to assist exhaust and scavenge charge. I'd still see if the crack can be welded and re-contoured. It looks structural, and important.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The intake is on the other side and I believe here is nothing to worry about.----I suggest the OP to look at the other side by taking the INTAKE cover off.-----Then post more pictures !

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That is the boost port on intake side and its ok. Need to run a rigid hone thru the cylinders to see if it leaves "shadows" which are untouched areas around ports(90% do). Do not use a spring or ball hone to check this. If it leaves shadow cylinder needs bored.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I'd still take your block to a machine shop for evaluation. They may be able to get in there and weld it.

That is the passage used in conjunction with Mercury Power Ported Piston, an addition to the transfer ports from the crankcase

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are a number of folks who say that is the iintake side.------The original poster should take the time to learn how that motor operates / works.-----Makes repairs of the motor so much easier !

ramboot

Seaman Apprentice
Ok now I’m really confused, do you guys think that little crack is nothing to worry about because of where it is? All I have to do is check cylinders if they have to be rebored because of s deep scratches? I plan on replacing all rings and pistons anyway.