No announcement yet.

Piston and cylinder problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The intake is on the other side and I believe here is nothing to worry about.----I suggest the OP to look at the other side by taking the INTAKE cover off.-----Then post more pictures !

Comment

That is the boost port on intake side and its ok. Need to run a rigid hone thru the cylinders to see if it leaves "shadows" which are untouched areas around ports(90% do). Do not use a spring or ball hone to check this. If it leaves shadow cylinder needs bored.
      When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
      Business Owner & Certifed Technician
      Boats I own & use
      20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
      17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
      13ft Allison w/150 I-6
      17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
      15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
      14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

Originally posted by harringtondav View Post
        I'd still take your block to a machine shop for evaluation. They may be able to get in there and weld it.
        [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":10704618**[/ATTACH]
        That is the passage used in conjunction with Mercury Power Ported Piston, an addition to the transfer ports from the crankcase

Comment

There are a number of folks who say that is the iintake side.------The original poster should take the time to learn how that motor operates / works.-----Makes repairs of the motor so much easier !

Comment

Ok now I’m really confused, do you guys think that little crack is nothing to worry about because of where it is? All I have to do is check cylinders if they have to be rebored because of s deep scratches? I plan on replacing all rings and pistons anyway.

Comment

Well , is this port all black from exhaust ???-----Have you looked on the other side to see what might leak through this crack ??-----The 3 L method applies here------Look , Listen and Learn.

Comment

Ok finally after arguing with my so called mechanic, this IS THE INTAKE SIDE of the block NOT THE EXHAUST SIDE! The crack goes all the way through the support arm? On the cast part or pot metal or whatever its called BUTdoes not touch any walls on the cylinder itself. Would you suggest cast weld or any other suggestion before or after boreing out cylinder.

Comment

You want the quick answer. Throw the block away! It might be repairable, might not be. It will be cheaper to find another complete engine. There are lots out there

Comment

See the wee hole near the intake ports ?------How many of the 5 nylon inserts are still there in those holes ?-----Just curious as I usually find they are missing on 3 of the 5 holes.---Post a picture of the intake side of the piston that was in that hole.

Comment

Comment

All five holes have an insert, piston is the one that caused all the trouble, does that help? Would i have to weld the crack being its intake?

Comment

The only way to make a good decision going forward is to find a machine shop and get an estimate for evaluation (bore measurements), needed machining work and and welding that crack. A competent TIG welder knows how to repair aluminum castings. Good prop shops do it every day on lower unit housings.

Used complete packages are available, but they are used and may be worse than what you're looking at. And you'll know what you have when you're finished. Done right, this motor will last a long time.
                          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Take the rod for #5 off the crankshaft and inspect bearing surfaces.-----Your location ?------I would be concerned about what might have stretched / expanded the cylinder to cause that crack !

Comment

Just bore the block .020 on all six,forget the crack,rebuild carb and replace trigger.Then you will have a running motor.
                              When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
                              Business Owner & Certifed Technician
                              Boats I own & use
                              20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
                              17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
                              13ft Allison w/150 I-6
                              17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
                              15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
                              14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

Working...
                              X