Water leak at base of head unit

pappysc2

Cadet
I am working to trouble shoot a newly purchased 1996 40 hp tracker/mercy electric start outboard. During my initial water test there is a small water leak percolating up from the base of the power head about midway back on the tiller handle side. I was thinking gasket issue between powerhead and drive shaft housing but I wanted run it out to you all to see if anyone has run across this before.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Torque tight all bolts located under pan with a proper wrench, if not tight water will make it's way and flood the pan. If doesn't work will need to remove the powerhead and install a new pan gasket..

If bolts are found bit loose, expect to find cylinder head and exhaust gaskets same..

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If this is the 4 cylinder model that the main water passage area and need to replace both gaskets on adapter plate and block, also this motor does not have a cylinder head.If this is a 2 or 3 cylinder model look for crack in adapter plate and these models have no head or exhaust plate

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Best case and lucky man case, would be the hose for the tell tale has perished or came loose. The source of the tell tale is from around there usually. Trying to be optimistic. Worth a look.