2003 Mercury 60hp Flywheel Ring Gear Failure

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last fall noticed some nasty noise when starting the motor. Looks like the ring gear teeth are all worn down significantly. I pulled the flywheel off, and it appears the ring is a shrink-fit on the flywheel. I'm looking for advice on repair options.

This motor has tapered shaft, and single key locking flywheel in position. Inside there are six magnets, one of which was found loose when I pulled the flywheel.

1.) Can I retrofit an early 90's flywheel from the same hp? I've been able to find these at reasonable price on the used market.
2.) Alternatively, is there a source for just the ring gear? I replaced rings of this type on other vehicles, so would feel comfortable if I could find the replacement.
3.) Can the magnet be re-glued into place inside the flywheel with epoxy/JB weld, or is there some sort of factory magic adhesive that's used?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Flywheel replacement is suggested because of time & issue with ring gear removal and replacement. But after replacement, determine WHY the flywheel failed. That is generally caused by a starter bendix not engaging properly, loose starter mounting, sticky starter shaft or bendix spiral grooves gummed up or a starter misalignment problem. As for what fits and what doesn't, need part numbers. I'm guessing the early 90's flywheel will work on the 2003 but again, you need to verify this.

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flywheel replacement is suggested because of time & issue with ring gear removal and replacement. But after replacement, determine WHY the flywheel failed. That is generally caused by a starter bendix not engaging properly, loose starter mounting, sticky starter shaft or bendix spiral grooves gummed up or a starter misalignment problem. As for what fits and what doesn't, need part numbers. I'm guessing the early 90's flywheel will work on the 2003 but again, you need to verify this.

Thanks for the advice. Will take a look at the starter before running with a replacement flywheel. This boat/motor combo is new to us, just purchased last fall.