Use 73 Merc 650 controls on '84 75 HP cables onl;y?

stripes1966

Cadet
The controls for my '84 75 HP are toast, it is an 8-pin harness with trim. Wiring is in bad shape. I have two 1973 & 1976 Merc 650 control boxes with pretty good wiring and control cables still functional. I assume that there is no way to make the wiring *harness* from the 650 work on the '84? But, can the 650 cable *controls* be used on the '84 for throttle and gear control only? I looked awhile both here and on other sites and I could not find any posts that indicate that an old Merc 650 with distributor or without distributor (I have both) harness can be adapted to the later '84 engine. I can wire a harness from a stand alone ignition switch to the engine and work around that, but the cables and also the cold start advance lever on the 650 box would need to work on the '84. Would this work or are the throws different? Can anybody recommend a dealer that knows about this stuff that I can contact to just simply purchase a new compatible Quicksilver sidemount with trim box? The vintage ebay controls are going for $150-250, heck the new Quicksilver boxes are really not that much more if I can get one that works without a $$$ adaptor. Right now I'd shall out for a new one if there is such a thing as I am way tired of dealing with crappy old self destructing Mercury wiring problems. Thanks all!