2003 90 ELPTO to much oil

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So new to me motor. Guy said it needed the carbs cleaned to run well. I planned on doing that and new impeller any way so I opted not to try and start it just did a compression test and got 120-120-120. He said it started running rough and he found out that since it has oil injection you don't have mix the oil in the gas!!!

So the question is Knowing this what should I do moving forward? Obviously rebuild carbs, new plugs and go though the lower unit. Do I do anything else? Or start there and see what happens. Never had one that had too much oil run through it.

wrench 3

Commander
It could have carboned up the exhaust but if he never refilled the oil tank that's unlikely.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to make 100% sure that the oil injection is in service and delivering the correct amount of oil.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I had planned on running a small tank of 50:1 and mark the oil level to check it.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
It could have carboned up the exhaust but if he never refilled the oil tank that's unlikely.

Lots of ifs here. If he never filled the oil tank then the alarm would have been going off. Maybe he thought the oil tank was like an auto crankcase so he kept refilling it. Will it be easy to check for evidence of carboning up of the exhaust?

wrench 3

Commander
Lots of ifs here. If he never filled the oil tank then the alarm would have been going off. Maybe he thought the oil tank was like an auto crankcase so he kept refilling it. Will it be easy to check for evidence of carboning up of the exhaust?

No. Your engine doesn't have exhaust covers on the engine block so you would have to remove the power head (engine). If it was me I'd do the rest of the work and then see how it performs.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
wrench 3----Are you sure there are no exhaust covers on this motor ?----txbandit----serial # is ??

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serial number 0T627700

Sorry been crazy busy at work. So yes he was filling the tank and adding oil to the gas. I pulled the air to check for obstructions and found that the gasket at the bottom had been sucked into the #3 carb.:facepalm: Opened the throttle plate and pulled it back out. Looked up the gasket and discovered I had the whole thing and it did not make it past the carb. So I pulled the carbs for rebuild and holy crap, I don't know how much oil he was adding to the fuel but it was really dark green in all three carbs but still smelt like good gas.

I pulled the plugs and bore scoped the cylinders. I got carbon build up on the top of the pistons and possibly the head. I could see the exhaust and intake ports they are clean. I am going to button it up. replace all the fuel lines rebuild the fuel pump and install a new impeller and see how she does.