Mercury 60, 1985 , A139746 , Ignition/Carb/Switchbox Issues

w2much

Lieutenant
Sorry for the confusion. I am done for the day, have other obligations but I did check the trigger, there was not any continuity on any test performed according to the CDI Mercury repair section. It also stated as did another member that if the BIAS was bad you will have a high idle above 1500.I checked the BIAS according to instructions and again no continuity. OK, so I will get a new trigger and install it. I imagine this will also take care of the BIAS. So what is BIAS ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Idle pickup timing (carb throttle plates closed, but ready to open) should be 0-9* ATDC. That is the synch point between the carbs and the ign timing.

Idle RPM will be adjusted from that point by advancing or retarding the timing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Probably time to get a OEM service manual and put the Seloc in the outhouse, where it will have a useful purpose. They simply have too many catastrophic errors (firing order comes to mind) in them....

w2much

Lieutenant
"Catastrophic errors" proper term. Had me running in the wrong direction. So far today I have removed the stator and trigger. From the insulator for the four wires from the trigger. Four wires going in from the switchbox end, three coming out at the trigger end. The black and white wire was broken off right up close to the trigger with barely a bit of greened wire coming out. Faztbullet was on the right track. It will be a week or so til I get my new used trigger. I will post results then. Thank you all for reading and replying to my post.

Award

Seaman Apprentice
W2much I have found a outboard place in Illinois where I live this guy has over 700 motors for parts etc really good guy I will get you info tomorrow they do ship parts

w2much

Lieutenant
How to index my flywheel. Mercury 60HP 1985

Thought I would ask. In order to check my spark, timing ect I would like to index my flywheel for each cylinder. Question is where do I mark it. ? It does not fire at TDC. I read the link and sync about carb pickup and understand that. Just want to have it indexed at an idle.Chris mentioned 0 to 9 ATDC in another thread. Is that a good point to index, say 5 degrees ATDC?.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Flywheels are usually marked for #1 cylinder TDC and several degrees BTDC and ATDC. If you get the timing for #1 cylinder correct, the others should also be correct,provided your ignition electronics are working properly.

You have a 4 cylinder, so a cylinder fires every 90*. So measure around the flywheel with a tape measure and divide by 4. Now measure that distance from the 5* ATDC mark for #1 cylinder and mark it. It will be crude, but should tell you if the ign is working properly.

Of course, I would just make sure the link and synch are correct for #1 cylinder and then listen to her run.....If the timing to another cylinder is off, you should be able to detect it.

w2much

Lieutenant
It is three. I used a depth gauge to mark TDC on each cylinder. In retrospect I would have liked to mark it at 7 degrees BTDC or so closer to what the actual timing is. Again I need to get all three cylinders firing. Top cylinder fires consistently at about 9 degrees BTDC at an idle. # 2 cylinder keeps missing badly. # 3 cylinder has inconsistent spark but plug does not fire when in place.Take it out and there is spark. No DVA but trigger and stator are in spec with CDI's manual.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Timing will not cause a plug to stop firing. You're not troubleshooting in a consistent manner. Maybe it's this, maybe it's that?

If the flywheel and timing is 180[SUP]o[/SUP] out as you say in your other thread, which has been merged from 3 to a single thread, the motor will not run.

Again I need to get all three cylinders firing.

Fix this one thing you know is bad - Two plugs are not firing or not firing evenly. How did you determine this?

"Chris mentioned 0 to 9 ATDC in another thread" In this post in the combined thread - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...x-issues/page2

You are trying to confuse us once more by starting one more thread and referring back and forth. The prior comments are important so we can help you. Please use the original thread because this is one problem and this one is moved to the original.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I think the first step is to get the motor to fire Number 1 cylinder at 0-9* ATDC, per the specification. Then checking the spark timing on the others will verify the ign system is working.

Lots of other things can make a motor misfire. Fuel and air mixture, water in the cylinder, bad spark plug wires and low compression come to mind...

w2much

Lieutenant
Ordered and received new to me CDI, I ordered a used trigger, waited, then seller responded that it was a mistake in the listing and refunded my money. Ordered a second trigger and received one which was visibly broken, this seller refunded my money also. Now I have ordered a third trigger. Just received a message from the seller that he is away and will ship it upon his return. And I thought I was just having engine issues!!!! I have been reading and look forward to getting this thing going. The carb issue I have referred to I am pretty certain is solved. If the cylinder firing is intermitant or even not firing on time or at all will some of the fuel puddle in the carb throat as it is not being burned or should it still be sucked into the crankcase then cylinder and just expelled through the exhaust making for an oily mess in the test tank?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the sparkplug is not firing then fuel air mixture goes right through the motor without doing any work.-----And why do you think it might " puddle " in the carburetor if there are spark problems ??

w2much

Lieutenant
Thought I would post again on this one. The problems I was having were caused by a variety of issues. Myself not being systematic probably the biggest one. I did need to replace both the trigger and the switchbox, they were bad. Following that was trying to get a proper linc and sync accomplished I must have gone over the Seloc manual 100 times trying to understand what it was saying. Further were the diagrams in the manual . The water jacket on the head marks the cylinders one through three, one being the top cylinder. The diagram in the manual actually showed the top cylinder as #3. I am guessing that there was nothing wrong with the carbs as it runs great now. My guess is because it was back firing and missing fire randomly fuel puddled in the carb throat. I don't know. I will have a few more questions on this motor but will start a new post as the spark and fuel issues are resolved. Thank you all for your help. .