mercury inline 6 bleed hose question

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor is 1977 mercury 1150 inline 6 with distributor. It idles in neutral at 1000 rpm and in forward at 650 rpm. I can still feel the uneven breath when in gear at 650 rpm. It still has a hard cold start for about 20 - 30 sec.

I think I may find out the reason. The bleed hose at the air bypass side has a tee connector installed. I am always curious about that but think it should be what it is. I read some topics today and find out it is the path to pump the left oil from lower to upper side and there should be no leak.

Here is what I found out when inspecting this bleeding hose.
1. There is a tee connector installed in the hose. It usually spits out some fuel when running. This is not right, is it?
2. When I try to suck and blow air to both up and down side, both have in and out path without blocking. Is this normal? Because I remember raceone said there should be only one direction from lower to upper side.

Thank you.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181210_215814412.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.6 KB ID:	10686888

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The bleed hose should not have a tee in it. Also, the brass elbow on the bottom should have a 1 way valve, only allowing upward movement of oil. The top elbow is open both ways.

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, Chris,

If the lower valve can go both ways, that means I need to replace the check valves?
Do you know what part should I replace? I read the parts but it seems to me the same as the top valve.
Or there is some check valve inside the lower brass fitting?

BTW, do you think that tee is a connection from enricher valve? This model does not have one, but I did buy a mercury enricher planning to install it. I just don't get it why someone installed that tee there.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The lower check valve is part number
428671 ← 65670A 1

The upper check valve is Part Number
42866 ← 65350A 2

Both are listed as no longer available.

I had thought only the bottom one had a one way check valve, as the top valve would not need one

I do not think the enrichener system has anything to do with the recirculation system. Perhaps the PO put the tee into the hose, because the hose was too short after he cut off an end that had split?

I would replace the hose and clean both fittings, remove the tee and see what happens.

BTW - your cold start time is about right. That is the nature of the beast. An enrichener might help it start sooner, or maybe not...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 77 model did not leave the factory with an enricher valve.---But folks do make modifications.-----For me 20 / 30 seconds of cranking is an indication of problems.-----One thing you could do is to install an electric primer valve as found on Johnson / Evinrude motors.-----I have done that and it makes starting problems a thing of the past !!

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have now on hand a used mercury enricher solenoid.
As I know, OMC primer use fuel from pump as inlet, which is a pressured ones.
While mercury use fuel from carburetor bowl as inlet, which is no pressured fuel.

My question is, since Mercury vs OMC seems to be both work the same way, can I use mercury enricher solenoid as the OMC ones. I mean using fuel between the fuel pump and carburetor and output fuel to the balance lines?

My only concern is if Mercury enricher valve will fail sooner or later under the pressured fuel line.