1978 ranger 1750-v

Award

Seaman Apprentice
looking for some help on live well plumbing and also throttle & gear cables hook up on 1978 mercury 80 hp

merc850

Commander
There are several types of control boxes for Mercurys - which one do you have? If the one you have is OK all you do is move the shift/throttle lever and the cable that moves first is the shift one.

Award

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercontrol this is first outboard I have owned so it’s all new to me. I’m not sure what other lever is for and how to use it lol
when hooking up cables to motor is gear selector in nuetral position I’m guessing motor is a Merc 800

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A picture would be helpful.

The older MerControls had a single throttle lever and a small coldstart lever. You would prime the motor with 50::1 fuel mix via the primer bulb, pull the coldstart lever up all the way, hold the choke button and turn the key to coldstart the motor.

To attach control cables to motor, throttle lever must be in neutral (12 o clock position). Cold start lever down.
Now move throttle handle forward. First cable to move is shift cable. That gets installed into shift slider in bottom cowling on port side of motor. An aluminum casting with a nut that swivels left/right holds it in position. Install when throttle handle is in neutral. Shift slide should be in about the center of it's travel.

The throttle cable is installed above the shift cable and should connect to the bottom of the throttle arm, with a nut. The hookup could be a bit different depending on the year of the motor.