8-9.8HP Merc and Tohatsu Models with remote steer?

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cant seem to fine model numbers or specs on these. Both sites show that for the 9.8HP models that mechanical remote or tiller are available - however I cant find the models for remote.

Looking to try and setup remote on a RIB I plan on getting. If not - does anyone know if there is a conversion kit available for these? I also havent been able to find the parts for that either. My last boat I had a 20HP Merc tiller that I converted for about $500 (bought engine used for 1900) so I think I cam out on top with that purchase, and the conversion is extremely straight forward. Any info would be nice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Merc's last 9.8hp motor was 1985. do you mean the 9.9?

that is available with remote controls. look at the parts breakdown for the kit number. or ask your dealer if you havent bought the motor yet.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, yes 9.9HP. I havent bought the motor yet. However online I cant even find a model number for the remote.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
most "on-line" places wont have it. contact your local dealer for the kit number, or go thru the parts breakdown on the merc website

rigging dealers would have the info.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
there are kits available. There are a few types. You can buy a kit that simply uses the original filler gear that’s there originally perhaps, but is untidy looking.
There are kits that convert the whole thing and use a steering tube like bigger models. The steering gear that runs through this and to a steering wheel would not be a merc item. More likely morse or teleflex.
Have a google.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ill double check. I just recently converted my 2015 20HP from tiller to remote. On the parts listing in teh catalog there was a "CONVERSION KIT" That I simply bought. Merc genuine parts. I am not seeing this for the 9.9 motors on the parts list and am having a hard time googling remote 9.9hp with success lol.

EDIT: I can only find 20in shafts in remtoe. Do they not make 15 short shafts?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I know that kit 895284A02 was for 8 and 9.9 hp units (209cc) from serial number 0R042475 and up

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I had them on a mariner 10hp. Same engine as merc. Was a 2 stroke from around the late 90’s. This was set up like this from new. Engine had no tiller or external gear shift.
You can get a kit that goes into the external gear shift and tiller u handle though.