Mercury 110 9.8 HP With a stuck lower unit

teamlang

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to boating, but a decent mechanic (and a fair/poor tig welder). I am trying to remove the lower unit on a Merc 110 9.8 HP and it is stuck! The back will come down a bit but the front does not budge. I have tapped and hammered with a rubber mallet and wooden block. I also wedged a piece of metal on top of the front nut and tried to back the nut up use that that as leverage and I cannot even get a tiny bit of movement. I have used a couple days worth of WD40 on the nut, but I have a haunting suspicion that it is the shift spline, since that is the forward most thing in there and it will wedge down up into the very front. I read somewhere to cut a hole in the side and cut the shaft... but that seems really excessive.
I know its a common motor (or was) and I am hoping someone out there has the trick to get this thing off! Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have both fasteners off? Ths shifter shaft is just splines

teamlang

Recruit
Correct the bottom nut was removed and the front was backed off as far as it would go.

teamlang

Recruit
So after days of penetrating oil, heating it up with a torch and trying every trick there is online, I finally fell back on what always works... My Sawzall... I Cut right at the seam, which dropped the lower unit, and then drilled out the stud from the motor. I am picking up a used lower unit from my local Marine wrecking year for 75.00. That steel bolt became part of the aluminum body, it wasn't coming out...

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I assume you are talking about the front bolt?