Kill switch on a 9.8 hp merc

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I kind of touched on this before but never got a good anawer.
​​​​​​A little history. I have a 12 foot Myers aluminum fishing boat and I picked up a 9.8 hp 110 1970 merc. Put it on the boat, started it and was running it just out front of our cottage in upper Michigan. STUPID ME, I'm out there with no life jacket, and excited that the engine was running so good, opened it up well didnt take long before I ended up in the water with the boat still running at WOT and out of control! Anyway everything turned out OK after the engine was starved of fuel and quit.

Now to my question. First I have no serial number, but have determined that I have a 1970. It had a kill switch button that was not connected because it was none working. Checked it with a multi meter. So I removed the old kill switch, and installed a normally open or normally closed lanyard switch. Thinking that the switch would work to break the orange wire coming from the stator.

Long story short ( please see the photos ) the engine keeps running no matter if the orange wire is grounded or not grounded.

So I am showing you the pics of the engine and explaining the wiring in hopes that you can give me some advice?

The green wire coming from the stator is tapped to two blue wires. Each of the two blue wires connect to one side of each coil.

The two separate red wires come out of the stator. One each goes to the other side of the coil.

The orange wire coming out of the stator was grounded.

With the orange wire grounded or not grounded the motor will continue to run?

​​​​​​At the present time I know I can kill the engine with the choke, but when at wot that is not going to keep me from ending up in the lake!!

Can I wire the new lanyard switch into the green or red wires to kill the engine?

I have been reading forums that say kill switches can damage stators?

I dont want to ruin a good ststor?

Sorry about the long post, but wanted to make sure you understand the question?

Thanks to alk for this great site

Tom

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Can't help with the lanyard wiring questions but when the stop button on my '71 merc fell off into the drink many years ago l just replaced it with a generic model, from a chandlery, $6 iirc

just had to make the hole a little larger,
No change to wiring,

sorry, l realize that's not your main question

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry, forgot to add the pics to my original post

Attachments

• photo304240.jpg
    photo304240.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo304241.jpg
    photo304241.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo304242.jpg
    photo304242.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 3

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If your motor has the phasemaker ignition a standard kill switch will not work. Use the choke to kill the engine.