Mercury 850 cap and rotor

Thistledew

Cadet
Hello! My mercury 850 recently wouldn’t start due to no spark. I found the cap and rotor to be the culprit. I cleaned the metal on the inside of the rotor and cap and it started and ran fine. My question is should I replace the cap and rotor assembly or will it run as is for a while? Curious if anyone else had cleaned it up and had luck with the old parts. The cap and rotor are each $250!!! Very expensive for this old of a boat. Anyone know where to get the parts cheaper? Thanks for the help!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have bead blasted many a cap and no problems. Just clean rotr with soft wire brush and replace the carbon and sprng….

Thistledew

Cadet
Michigan. Very expensive used on eBay too. I’ll leep looking. Carbon and spring look great. Thanks!

I see some some oily residue inside the cap. Is that normal on these?

merc850

Commander
There's a gasket that goes between the cap and trigger housing, if it's missing fuel could enter the cap. I buy them at my Mercury dealer; there is also a sealed bearing on the shaft above the trigger disk that could be leaking. Smell the residue if it's gas/oil you'll know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find somebody that can test the cap and rotor.-----These are not automatic replacement items like on grandpa's 283 chevy !