Smudge on a propeller

Aligator

Cadet
Hi,
Would you grind the propeller to get rid of the Smudge (see pic) and use it or is that sign of any danger for the engine ?
Thanks,
Serge

Attachments

• photo304044.jpg
    photo304044.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That brown stuff? Do you have a stainless steel prop? If so, that is likely rust. Remember a lot of SS alloys have enough steel to get rust flakes.

If you grind if off, you could unbalance the prop. I would leave it alone, or rub it with some very fine sandpaper.

Aligator

Cadet
No, it's not about the brown stuff, look at the
like a drop piece of metal. Yes, it's an SS prop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Top or bottom smudge? More like a casting mark, not a smudge.

Why do you want to do something with it? The spot has been there from manufacture and balanced with it there.

I would leave it the way it is and not touch it. Is the prop causing an issue?

smudge.PNG

Aligator

Cadet
It presses on the brass ring, to use the prop I would at least have to get rid of the part surrounded in red.
mounting it like that, created vibrations and damaged the brass ring. I believe this created the vibrations, maybe something else ?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Grind it off flat so thrust washers is flush. Props are not balanced to very close tolerances and that wont hurt anything.

harringtondav

Commander
I agree w/^^^^ The thrust washer is designed to center up on it's female taper and the male taper on the prop shaft, and set flat against the thrust face of the prop's hub. The set off of that washer surface is supposed to clear the front face of the prop. The bead shown could contact before the hub's face and cause the prop to ****, and cause vibration.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A few seconds with a Dremel will remove that wart

Aligator

Cadet
Thanks for all coments !
I grinded the beads off however the vibrations below 1000rpm are still happen, most probably because of the weight of
the SS prop.
I will show the results of the props in the prop forum.

Attachments

• photo304281.jpg
    photo304281.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 0