Engine idles erraticly after a hard run; often refuses to be started.

Ken_Boater

Recruit
Background:
2005, 210 hp “Carb Jet Drive” [a 2-stroke outboard on a Mercury SportJet pump], engine model S210J10DD, Engine serial# OE427816.

I change the plugs and the fuel filter at the start of every season (currently at this end of the season, hardly 20 hours of running), and I use only highest AKI grade of gasoline (in this area, 91) at a busy, Top-tier gas station (it's a trailer boat); also treat the fuel all year appropriately (Sta-Bil 360 Marine, and BioBor EB). The injector oil I use is AmsOil fully synthetic.

Now the Problem:

Toward the end of this season, my otherwise good running engine started idling erratically after a nice run (3 to 3.5K rpm) around the lake. It wouldn't return to a reliable idle rpm as I slowed for the buoy line, and it often stalled.

When it did stall, I couldn't crank it in the usual fashion: after it cranks for barely a second, the starter would stop as if the battery was dead (at first, it fooled me enough to replace the battery), but it really wasn't bad as I discovered later -- because if I pulled the neutral release on my Morse shifter and opened the throttle (either reverse or forward), then the engine cranked nicely. So it only refused to crank when the throttle was in the normal neutral (throttle at idle) position.

Even so, after cranking the engine and starting it up, it would still idle poorly or stall again. This is only a problem after a long, hard run -- when I start off at the beginning of the day, it seems to run fine.

This is a relatively new problem. Earlier in the season it ran perfectly, as well as in many earlier years.
1) Why has the idle become erratic after a long run?
2) Why is it difficult to crank the engine, seeming like a dead battery, if the throttle is in (slow) neutral?
I suspect that these are related???

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1 - either crud in the fuel or your motor is running hot
2 - most likely your motor is running hot

check the motor temps with an IR gun

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Rebuild the manual fuel pump and check carbs. Could have one flooding.

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds likes it’s flooding to me too when hot, do as stated above and also check the engine temp valve that comes from the starboard cylinder head, it is open when motor is cold to allow more fuel into motor to help start when cold and should be closed when hot so it doesn’t flood motor. It has a hose connected to it and a second barb with nothing on it. I believe between the bottom two spark plugs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No thats backwards leon.....the thermal air valve is closed when cold in order to restrict air to the idle circuit so that there is a richer fuel mixture when the engine is cold. When the engine warms up, the valve should open to allow air to the carb circuit during idle.

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
Woops, your right got it messed up but it still needs to be checked and is a cheap fix.