Temperature Issue Full Throttle

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
So after installing a temp gauge the alarms goes off as it reaches about 180 degrees. At idle the temp goes up to about 160+ degrees. I’ve thorougly checked the cooling system and all parts. Everything checks out ok. I can only assume that maybe a gasket is leaking.

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
I would replace the gasket below the water pump base, which is the part the water pump sits on. Another problem can be the gaskets between the powerhead and adapted/exhaust plates. They can leak and exhaust gas will mix with the water jacket causing overheat.

Make sure you have the right temp alarm sensor. Mine sets off at 243 degrees but it is in the cylinder head touching metal. If your sensor is actually in the water jacket touching water it should be much lower, 160-180 I would think.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would replace the gasket below the water pump base, which is the part the water pump sits on. Another problem can be the gaskets between the powerhead and adapted/exhaust plates. They can leak and exhaust gas will mix with the water jacket causing overheat.

Make sure you have the right temp alarm sensor. Mine sets off at 243 degrees but it is in the cylinder head touching metal. If your sensor is actually in the water jacket touching water it should be much lower, 160-180 I would think.

So I replaced both those gaskets also. The sensor is touching the metal. I recently purchased a new sensor for this engine so it’s a new sensor.

What engine do you have?

leonreno

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2002 200 hp carbed motor. The sensor is between the top two spark plugs. One side is the temp alarm and the other is the temp sensor for the temp gauge.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I finally determined that its was the right cylinder head. Needed to be surfaced. Had it surface, put it on with a new gasket and now it runs perfect. No overheat issue.