1965 mercury 900

Well, the lady came home with a project pontoon last week and it has a 90 hp tower of power... I had one long ago and it was hard to find parts and info then. Now I'm lost. What I am hunting for is the wiring harness from controls to the internal harness. I have 5 pins and all I can find is and 8 pin. I removed all the wiring that was dry rotted and mapped it out. I am thinking about just ordering an 8 pin and just modify as needed. But I don't know it will mount correctly in the engine where the 4 screws and square bracket are. Any help on where to look for parts would be much appreciated.

tommarvin

Ensign
Better get the Mercury manuel, e-bay might have it, you-tube search,google search. Search outboard wiring harness.
Hey can you cut the wires three inches from the connectors and shrink tube/butt splice five new wires, just a thought.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well, the lady came home with a project pontoon last week and it has a 90 hp tower of power... I had one long ago and it was hard to find parts and info then. Now I'm lost. What I am hunting for is the wiring harness from controls to the internal harness. I have 5 pins and all I can find is and 8 pin. I removed all the wiring that was dry rotted and mapped it out. I am thinking about just ordering an 8 pin and just modify as needed. But I don't know it will mount correctly in the engine where the 4 screws and square bracket are. Any help on where to look for parts would be much appreciated.

CDI makes replacement harnesses. Give them a call - http://www.cdielectronics.com/contacts/ iBoats sells CDI harnesses after CDI gives you a part number.

I wouldn'y buy a used harness because you will have the same dry rot problem because Merc wiring from back then is known for this issue.