Video:Warm Merc 6hp - Dies above low speed (with clean carb)

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Below is a link to my video showing the problem in use and at sea - a real-world condition.

This motor is a 2016 4 stroke (with about 35hours of use). The motor acts pretty good right at the beginning. Then after 10mins to an hour, it will eventually die (like it’s not getting enough gas) when going higher than low speed (where the tiller is just twisted beyond “Restart”). I can prevent it from dying by quickly lowering the speed. Seems to be a problem only when in gear as it doesn’t die in neutral when I rev it up. When it dies, it will always start up with 1-2 pulls. I can always run at low speed with the throttle just beyond the “Restart” label. But any more than that and the problem repeats.

The problem seems to worsen with running time. Also the problem seems to be worse in wavy conditions.

I’ve used both external and internal tanks. I've changed out fuel lines, external fuel tanks, pump bulb. And this is maybe the 5th time cleaning the carburetor (which means completely disassembling, cleaning, putting it back together).

I’m having the exact same issue with my 2014 Merc 3.5 hp (not shown in the video). It also has about 30 hours of use on it.

Some people have suggested replacing the fuel pumps and the control modules. These motors are not too old and have low hours on them. But if I do, will I be replacing them with more poorly-made fuel pumps and control modules?

See the video.