1999 Mercury 125 Trolling question

Superboild82

Cadet
Hi I have a 1999 Sea Ray 180 bow rider with a 125 mercury outboard oil injected. I like to do a lot of trolling fishing. I have notice at idle in gear I'm Running about 3 miles per hour. little faster than I like. I am thinking of getting a trolling plate to put on the motor. I am just wondering will it hurt that motor running at low speed idle for long period of times like hour or two. Also is it true its only using the top two cylinders at idle. Thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes you have a 2+2 motor. That means it idles on 2 until 1800 rpm then it runs on all 4. Yes you can use a trolling plate on the motor. I personally dont like them but they are ok.

Superboild82

Cadet
So it won’t hurt the motor to run low idle for long period of times. Like it won’t cause it to load up or wear out quicker. Thank you for the response

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Oh it will eventually load up, the trolling plate will allow you to run the engine at slightly higher rpms which will reduce the loading up. The engines are really designed for high speed running, and at low speeds the air fuel mix is moving at lower speeds thru the crankcase and some fuel will come out of suspension and puddle. Eventually a blob of fuel will make it to the cylinder and cause a rich misfire. It won't hurt it, just foul the plugs a bit