Link and sink after timing belt broke

Boat4less

Recruit
Well I am new to working on this type of boat it has a 1150 mercury I believe it's 115hp it's a inline 6 well it was running amazing and then the timing belt broke while running I followed a YouTube video and I did everything it said it is set at tdc when put the belt on and i followed the link and sink I got spark and fuel it won't start not even a poof or nothing I am stuck and need help looking for some one that I can talk to maybe of your love in Texas maybe even help with me fixing it any one have the knowledge that can help let me know I even tried while turning it over love the cap with my hand it did nothing so I'm stumped???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

I suggest you get a manual for instructions to follow. YouTube videos are notorious for bad information - Not all, but many are wrong.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First I recommend you check the distributor pulley by carefully spinning it and see if the bearing is bad. Those belts last a long time.

Second, the timing is relatively easy. With the pulley cover off, you should see a cast arrow. on the pulley. Set the motor to top dead center using a screwdriver thru the top spark plug hole. You should see a dot, three dots or at least a punch mark on the red flywheel. Set the flywheel and pulley so the arrow points at the dot(s) or punch mark. That should be it.