1998 mariner 225 efi dies at WOT

lk93

Cadet
I am looking at a boat with the motor mentioned above. The owner told me that after running at WOT for about 10 mins it will die. He said he can just restart it, rev it up a bit then take off again. He thought it might be O rings on the injectors, but It sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. If it is O rings is that something I could fix myself. Any advice would be helpful. Also what approximately would this motor be worth.

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Tis not O-rings....either fuel pump is failing or ECU has problem(driver board)

lk93

Cadet
If I were to buy this boat/motor, I assume the fuel pump would be realativly easy/cheap to fix/replace and an ECU problem would be more complicated and expensive. If I go to look at this boat is there anything quick to look for. Also the guy said it has done this for a while, but he doesn't usually run that far or long.

Also I just realized it is a 200 not a 225.

Thanks again

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
First off I would be thinking Simple. Given it’s an efi and highly dependant on current and voltage...I would be checking the battery first and there after making sure the charging system is capable of providing adequate amps and volts to counter the high demand when at wot on such an engine. Get it WOT and get a meter on the battery. Soon find out.