1977 Merc 850

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I took the carbs off of my motor yesterday to give them a good cleaning. As I got them back together and went to install them, the plastic linkage that connects the two butterflies on the carbs snapped!! Actually it just fell apart because it’s a 40 year old piece of plastic! LOL! Anyways, my question is does anyone have a Sierra # or a source to get another one. I looked at one or two and it was like $35. That can’t be right can it? Thanks for the help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like that part is NLA.-----Sellers often know this.------Your location ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of used ones in my area.-----But I repair parts like that using JB weld and single strands of fiberglass woven material.----Takes time but works.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought about that. Most all of it is still there. Just needs some touch up. Thanks! Say I do get it back together or get a new one. Is it better to install it after the carbs are already on the motor so I don’t break it again?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No -----you install that part and slide both carburetors onto the studs at once.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If your close try Leon's for a used one and Airport Marne for new...

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks. I’m going to repair it with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Wrap the cloth around it and paint the epoxy over it. I think it will be strong enough to hold. Thoughts?

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are in a hurry to go fishing, repair it. I would buy another one and keep one for a spare. When I rebuilt my carbs I put the first carb in and then the second with the link and that worked. I left the first carb hanging loose on the studs, however.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, how about reinforcing it with a piece of light angle iron? Probably a bit of electrical tape to bind them together, is all you will need.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s currently drying now. I super glued the two pieces back together but was missing a good portion of one side. I slowly glued and wrapped the tack cloth like a bandage and glued in between each layer and then doused the whole thing in JB bond. It basically turned into fiberglass and is rock hard now. It’ll be a short term fix until I track down a replacement at the local boat shop (hopefully)

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it back together. I tried to do another topic post but not sure if it posted. I’m. It getting anything. Not even a sputter. It cranked the very first time I tried it and then nothing. Compression is good. Carb is cleaned. Getting new plugs tomorrow. What am I missing?