89 35hp mercury running on 1 cyl

I have a 35 hp mercury that I have been working on and have come to the conclusion that I’m only getting fuel to my bottom cylinder and hardly any at all is getting to my top I have done a compression check and both cylinders was close to 115 and it has a rebuilt carb on it and I know I’m getting fire to both spark plugs so I’m pretty sure it’s not an electrical problem any advice would be great!! Thanks for any help I’m 23 and fairly new to boats

Best I can tell the reed valves look good there still nice and shiny and none appear to be bent or anything would it be ok to hit them with carb cleaner Incase something is up there I can’t see or could it harm something?

Thanks for the reply fellas and I will go back through the carb again also and make sure it’s good I have a rebuild kit on the way for the fuel pump to make sure it’s pumping like need be

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Getting fire in open air is one thing. Getting spark under compression is another. Quite possible you've got a power pack going on you. Might fire just fine until the motor starts running and warms up a bit.

Update I have had someone rebuild the carb and also had the fuel pump rebuilt but it still has the same symptoms it runs like a top on the muffs but you can pull the bottom plug off and it still will not run on the top cylinder I have switched the coils around and I’m still having the same problem on the same cylinder

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess it just " sounds good " on the muffs.-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on the top lead , yes or no ?

I will check it and see how far of a gap if is jumping but I believe it is jumping something like that if not could it still be the coil or plug or plug wire possibly thanks for the reply this thing is driving me nuts also could the timing be a little off possibly?