Shortening shaft on Mercury 9.9 4-stroke

dubbs004

Recruit
I purchased a used 9.9 4-stroke to be used as a kicker motor on my fishing boat. The motor runs great and I'm very happy with it except for the shaft length, The previous owner had the motor on a bigger boat and had the shaft extended from a long shaft (20")to an extra long shaft (25"). My boat doesn't need the extra length so I would like to remove the 5" spacer and convert it back to a long shaft. He gave me the shorter driveshaft, water tube and shift linkage with the motor.

I don't have any special tools or much experience working on outboards. Is this a job I can tackle on my own? Do you have to remove the prop shaft and pinion gear to remove the driveshaft, or can I pull the driveshaft out and slide the new one in? Am I better off just installing a riser on my transom so the motor sits higher?

I appreciate any feedback.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At the very least, you're going to have to pull the bearing carrier out which can be a pain.

OTOH, you should have no trouble finding someone willing to trade gearcases (or motors).
There are loads of 20" shafts (around here at least) but fewer 25" - shouldn't be too hard to find someone to swap gearcases (or complete motors). We probably sell 5-10 of the 20" for every 25"
I'd budget an hour or two of a tech's time to have your 'new' motor checked out before you commit to the trade though.