1989 75hp 3cyl mariner will not run at full rpm

danchmp

Cadet
Hello all,
I would like to thank everyone in advance for any advice given. I am working on a 1989 Lund with a 3 cyl 75hp mariner. I bought the boat as is and the owner could not get it to start. He did say it had been rebuilt at some time but I wasnt counting on it. Fast forward to today, It will crank and idle fine. Never dies but does run a little rough. It will run ok until about 15 mph and thats it I have checked the compression 115 on all 3. Went through the carbs twice. They looked like they had been gone through already before I did or just very clean. Replaced all fuel lines and primer bulb. New fuel enricher. New power pack( fixed the #3 not firing) New plugs and I bypassed oil injection and mixed 50-1. Also ran on portable tank no help. I have disconnected the rectifier to see if it helps with no luck. The stator is charging 16v which is ok per the manual. I have checked the spark while running and it will jump about a inch when I disconnect the plug wires. I have set the timing by the manual. What I have done recently is marked the flywheel for tdc on each cylinder. I counted the teeth between each mark and they are all the same, but when I check number 1 it fires on time and number 2 and 3 fires way early. I cant even see the marks i made on it in the timing window of the flywheel cover. If I retard the timing all the way it barely shows in the window but then number 1 is firing way off. Im thinking trigger but I hoped this would make sense to someone. I do not have a dva tester so I have not tested some of the basic tests. Once again Thank you

danchmp

Cadet
Yes I have read over it and have done all tests except for any dva voltage tests and everything is within spec I just didn’t want to buy a tool that I might use once

danchmp

Cadet
It is new but I have a spare I will toss on and try. Anymore suggestions while I’m on the water

danchmp

Cadet
No luck. New switch box did the same thing. I also removed the flywheel to look at the components and everything looked new

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are saying it idles fine !----So with a timing light at what RPM does this ignition system start firing out of time ?-----Are you 100% sure they are firing " way early "----And exactly how many degrees is " way early " as early firing may bring the motor to a " dynamic halt "

danchmp

Cadet
When it idles the number one cylinder fires at 4 btdc and 2 and 3 fires so far out of the window I can’t read it if i retard the timing manually it moves the index marks close to what I would guess is 25 btdc

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You do not care where 2 and 3 are firing. You only time #1 and the other 2 take care of them selves. Do you realize you should not be adjusting the timing at an idle. WOT timing needs to be done running at full throttle.There is no spec for timing the other cylinders.

danchmp

Cadet
I timed the engine per the manual with the plugs out and adjusting while cranking it over I did not adjust it while it idled The timing may not be at all my problem then. I had just observed the timing difference and it seemed odd to me. My background is auto mechanics and these 2 strokes seem to be a much different breed

danchmp

Cadet
Update on the progress. I spoke to a gentleman at Cdi and cross referenced my trigger to a 4cyl model that is prob what is making it fire out of time. I was able to get one today by walking in the front door of cdi. Didn’t know I was so close to them. I might go back next week for a tour. Anyway I bolted the new one on and it fired right up. I will take it to the lake tomorrow for a test run and report back. I guess never assume the parts on a used boat are correct unless you put them in there

danchmp

Cadet
Last update,
After the water test I checked my timing on all cylinders again and the #3 cylinder was still out of time. Looked be off by about 20 degrees. I took the trigger back to cdi and they checked it out while I waited and it turned out to be bad. They exchanged for a new one and the timing is now correct. I would recommend checking all cylinders for correct firing and not let them take care of themselves as stated earlier in the post. Thank you guys again