Stripped plug hole

Jkovalcik

Cadet
Went to change the plugs today on my 2006 175 Optimax and it’s been sitting without plugs for a while. I put the first plug in and it was tight to go in and I figured it was due to the weather. The second plug started tight again but by the second or third turn I knew something wasn’t right. I took the plug out and had metal shavings on the plug. I tried putting it back in straight but I think I only made it worse. It is only a few turns in the plug hole but I can’t get the plug to follow the correct threads. Can I just clean it up with a tap? Or is going to have to go to the shop?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My guess is you need a thread-sert or other repair

sam am I

Commander
You can try a "starting tap" and see if you can line up on and straighten up what's left of the original. Who knows, ya might have just enough left to get the plug to torque back in at spec.

I think the head's plug threads are alum, if so, they say "a few alum shaving that will fall down inside while running the tap will just vaporize when she fires up and not hurt the the rings/bore"

If not, no loss trying.......Then wondering if the next size up tap you could find a same'ish type spark plug (heat/gap etc) to fit the newer bigger hole or as Scott suggeted, a thread-sert repair

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Grease on the tap will catch most of the shavings from the tap. Same goes for a drill bit. But since the V6 mercs have removable heads, take it off and do a proper thread repair without metal falling inside