Spring on Starter motor, a necessity?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hello
Im fixing a starter motor on my friends merc as it was low powered. Ive found some carbon tracking through cracks in the washers on it so it was short circuiting and seems to power up fine now on my work bench which is my floor.
The spring under the top nut that pushes the bendix down has broken apart too.
Is this a necessity to fix? Doesnt gravity and the spinning of the motor once its started and the starter circuit is turned off make it fall back down? Im wondering if the only cause of concern would be if the bendix lifted up when going over a wave etc and engaging with the flywheel but this seems like it has a minimal chance of occurrence.

Thanks in advance

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Without the spring, there is a good chance the bendix won't disengage after starting. Been there, done that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Merc had a bunch of springs they weren't using so they thought this would be a good place to get rid of them. On the serious side of life, manufacturers do not install springs if they are not needed.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Understood thanks, I will fix it back up to their intended design. Ive had to heat the top nut to remove it, its a saltie, but its eventually come off turning it ccw.
I could imagine a stuck bendix would burn the starter out really quick and you wouldnt know til too late with the cowl hiding this incident