97 40hp merc 2 stroke What do I need to know?

OVB

Recruit
Hello, I just bought a 16ft smoker craft with a 40hp merc 2 cycle...I have never owned a outboard this large before [ 2hp Honda ] what do I need to know to operate and maintain this sweetheart? What brand of oil works the best ?...what brand of spark plugs?...fuel filters?...ect...thanks Mike

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try to find a good manual for your outboard. A Mercury oem is best. Oil is a much talked about subject but I use Pennzoil in everything I own. If I had your motor I would pull a spark plug and get the same if available in your area or follow the manual. Try your best to find a service station in your area that sells unleaded gas with no "gasohol".If you feel a need for filters, use what is available for your motor in the area or follow the manual and order some online. For the lower unit, use Mercury quicksilver synthetic gear oil and above all else before you run your motor, change the impellor on the water pump and make sure there is no water in the gears in the lower unit. A mercury manual will explain it all so it makes sense. Spend some time on this forum and go to the archives and learn as much as you have time to consume. Many of the regulars on this forum are real knowledgeable and helpful and don't seem to mind "dumb" questions. Good luck.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Any outboard makers oil(Merc,Yammy,Johnrude,Tohatsu,etc,etc) new impeller every 2 years,NGK plugs, marine lower unit oil not automotive type,remove prop every 3 month to inspect for fishing line wrapped around shaft.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You either need to disconnect the oil injection system and pre mix....or pay rediculous attention to the state of the oil lines and fittings a good few times a year and replace when nesessary.
Peace of mind would dictate pre mixing at 50/1