testing a 16 amp charging system

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16 amp charging system, I wasn't getting anything higher then battery voltage while running at any rpm. Engine runs fine so I figured the stator is okay. I removed the rectifier and regulator boxes and installed a newer style 6 wire rec/reg box. I still only have batter voltage when engine is running. Is it possible that only the yellow wire side of the stator is bad? How do I check that?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looking through the Internet wiring, I can't quite see what motor you're working on with the bad stator or charging system wiring.

Stator is for charging and trigger is for running the motor even if the two are combined in one electrical component or two separate pieces.

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
Looking through the Internet wiring, I can't quite see what motor you're working on with the bad stator or charging system wiring.

Stator is for charging and trigger is for running the motor even if the two are combined in one electrical component or two separate pieces.

Its a 87ish 200 carb. Whats the best way to test the stator?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
How did you wire the new rectifier??? Does it have a purple wire? If it has 2 reds the big red with male end goes to battery positive and the small red with female end is a sense wire. Tie it to the purple wire

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The stator is part of 2 systems !----One set of coils for charging the battery.---One set of coils to provide a signal for the ignition system.-----The trigger is also a separate piece to operate switches to fire the coils.

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
How did you wire the new rectifier??? Does it have a purple wire? If it has 2 reds the big red with male end goes to battery positive and the small red with female end is a sense wire. Tie it to the purple wire

It had one blk, wired to gnd.
two yellow, wired to stator
one lg red, wired to battery +
one small red, cap and stowed/not used

sam am I

Commander
Whats the best way to test the stator?

Measure the resistance between the two yellow wires and that they are not shorted to ground...........Should be essentially 0'ish (zero) ohms with standard DMM between the two yellows' and open (high resistance) from the yellows to the motor block.

If all is good above and between the yellows you see 0'ish ohms, the winding's themselves could still be shorted within their coils........To check that (other then visual of char and smell), fire up the engine and measure the AC voltage this time between the two yellows again. At an idle and unloaded'ish, ya might see around 12VAC, rev it up for a short bit and you should see perhaps around 20VAC.

If you're getting reasonable AC readings but, still no DC out higher then the batt when rev'ing a bit, that implies the reg/rec. and/or it's wiring. You say, you have the reg's small red wire capped off/dis-connected? That might be the issue (not sure, some designs require the sense wire be connected, others don't). Tie that off as Faz said, "to the purple" (not sure where that is) or tie it where the reg's big red wire ties, right to the battery+, perhaps electrically, they're one in the same point on your motor. If so, moot point.

Last edited:

mike6868

Seaman Apprentice
Im starting to question, I may have an older 15 AMP stator. If I do, will my new voltage reg. work?

Dukedog

Captain
if you still have tha original rectifier put it back on.. leave tha regulator OFF.. now check out put voltage at idle and speed.
tha 15/16 amp does just fine WITHOUT a regulator............