Solenoid, fuse or neutral safety switch?

bnjtown

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I have a 1994 Mariner / Merc that is new too me, don't know too much about the back history other than it has really low hours and shows no physical signs of wear and tear, kinda like a barn find.

Naturally it had it's fair share of dirt dobber and random nastiness inside the cowl but I have all that cleaned out now and all the wires appear to be intact and unscratched etc.

The problem is that when I hit the start button nothing happens, no click, no drag, just silence. If I jump the solenoid it fires off as it should. So what would be the proper next step test to figure out why the starter is not engaging. I am getting proper power to the solenoid but registering nothing on the starter side when I press the start button.

I assume it is one of 3 things: The solenoid itself, the neutral safety switch, or the starter button assemble. I suppose the kill button could be the issue but it is getting spark to the plugs when it is turning over so wouldn't that rule that out?

Not really sure what the proper testing order is beyond that. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Kill or Man Overboard switch only kills spark, so it isn't the problem.

How are you jumping the solenoid? There are two ways - A jumper cable across the solenoid (both large studs) or jump 12 volts from the battery feed stud to the small stud fed by the key switch. The second way tests the solenoid, the first way tests your jumper cable.

Turning the key to start and you have 12 volts on the small small stud that isn't grounded, the solenoid is the culprit.

bnjtown

Cadet
I've jumped it with both a screw driver connecting both post and with a cable running straight from the battery to the starter side post. Hits off both ways, not sure if that means anything or not, or if that is what you mean.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A cable to the starter post bypasses everything you are trying to test, which is the solenoid. When you turn the key to start and run, is the small solenoid stud showing 12 volts ()start) and no volts (run)?

What motor are you working on so your solenoid can be ID'ed? "1994 Mariner / Merc" is non-descriptive.

bnjtown

Cadet
I'm going to go through tonight and clean all the connections and see if corrosion could be the issue. I'm not expecting amazing results from that but you never know.

bnjtown

Cadet
Sorry - just saw your last post. The motor is a 1994 25hp 2 stroke Mercury. Tiller handle, electric start.

bnjtown

Cadet
The only places that register any type of reading are the main inlet post on the solenoid coming straight from the battery and the bottom post on the rectifier. (which is also fed straight from the battery).

Tested everything both while pressing the starter button and without

bnjtown

Cadet
what would be the best way to test the starter switch? That was my first thought since these older merc electric start setups all look like cheapo aftermarket bolt ons.

thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You need to check the start switch and the neutral safety switch. A continuity test is the simplest test. You also need to make sure the engine is in neutral. Another thing To Check Is make sure the neutral safety switch Is adjusted correctly.