Spitting gas out of carb when in water?

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered the CC reeds today. They have awesome Customer service. Communication is excellent via email. Answered all questions within mins. Can't wait to get them in the mail.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the cc reeds arrived! They look great! Can't wait to put em to use. Upon installing them using the old reed stop I noticed that the top reed stop holding the top reed plate closed completely and the bottom was plate was the only one allowed to open. Hmmm what to do...
Since it was designed like that from the factory i figured is time to mod. As in step up 1 hp in this little engine that could.
After researching the parts that are needed to swap. I found it simple to make said hp. Pilot jet, reed stop and idle screw seem to be the items needed for the upgrade. So slowly but surely this will get done. Kinda low on the bucket list of projects but not at the bottom.

Last edited:

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the Ball Research flex hone in a few days ago. Decided to do a little honing. What do you guys think about the hatch angle in the pic? Best i could do.

Attachments

• photo283225.jpg
    photo283225.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 0

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rings, 5 hp reed stop and new carb+ fuel pump ordered. Will update as parts come in. Piston ring gap will determine if new oversized pistons will be sourced.

Last edited:

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you. Parts seem like they are taking forever to get here. I'll by the rest of the parts from i boats. That other boats site takes like two weeks to ship.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most of the rings I've seen online have the silver outer edge like these in the pic. If they are like this from the factory the current one have seen some good run time. It will be interesting to see what the end gap will be with the new rings

Attachments

• photo283992.jpg
    photo283992.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do mine look like the coated ones in the first picture?

Attachments

• 20180124_202747-1.jpg
    20180124_202747-1.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 0

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys when I assemble the cylinder head to the powerhead can I use a copper head gasket spray as a sealant? Also I'd like to sand the head down a little what's a good way to do so? Thank you all for your time.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If cylinder maintains a perfect circular shape can install a new ring set, if oval will need to bore cylinder at a machine shop to next piston and ring 0.5 mm + size. If that's a rebadged Tohatsu OB as piston seems so, Tohatsu factory specs states 78 psi, but data could be way off ? Anyway120 psi is too much for that small OB.

Will need to install a new head gasket along a base gasket, torque both to factory specs with a torque wrench. Take advantage to clean all powerhead water paths and decarbon cylinder head if needed. With a new ring set or next size piston and rings will work as a charm along renewed agility.

Change carb middle o'ring, probably hardened and not sealing both carb's matting surfaces as it should ? Before adjusting float height check if floats needle is worn, must be sharp pointy, if rounded and with a neck change it as will wary float height. Float border must be adjusted to be even to upper carb border when turned upside down and that's with a pointy shape needle .

Once correct fuel/air mixture screw is dialed off water, will need to adjust idle screw once on water as rpm will vary to lesser ones, Sometimes OB will tend to die due to poor idle adjustment off water. Simply adjust idle speed screw CC tad more till OB doesn't die when gearedf forward and as the French say voila.

Happy Boating

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey thanks. I've ordered a new carb so that's an easy one. I've cleaned up all water passage ways free of sediment build up. At this point I'm just gonna check the eng gap on the rings and go from there. It's a bit much of wishful thinking, but the rebuild was originally said to be a low cost build. New gaskets well be ordered after the ring end checked. Guess I was wondering if using the copper spray to seal the head would be ok.

Also why would 120psi be to much for a small outboard? My little cruise n carry was 150psi. It was a 1.5hp

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Next factory over sized piston and rings should be 0.5 mm, so impossible to fit unless cylinder diam is enlarged at a machine shop. Reed valves looks awful, new ones were mandatory.

Don't add anything to new cylinder/head gasket, should come with a 2 sided lacquer coating that will seal once head is correctly torqued to specs and OB heats up. Both mating surfaces must be impeccable clean and even for a perfect gasket seal. Retorque cylinder head bolts after first 10 run hours after restoration. Just for the record, check with a pressure gauge the pressure achieved whether with new o'rings or new next size piston/ring kit

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! The standard size rings should arrive hopefully today, likely tomorrow or Monday. What sealant are you builders out there using to seal the block? Hoping to find something local at like Lowe's or auto zone and the like. Can't wait to get this thing back together. Thanks to all

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the new reed stop and piston rings installed. Pretty big difference in both items. One being the new rings weren't shiny on the outer edge.
I went out and picked up a feeler gauge and measured the end gap with the old rings were right @ .020 the new @.013. The new rings also felt like they have more tension then the original as well.
reassembling the powerhead is next.

Attachments

• 20180127_185240-1.jpg
    20180127_185240-1.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180127_191047-1.jpg
    20180127_191047-1.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To seal both mating powerhead surfaces apply anaerobic gasket maker (Loctite 518) to the cylinder block flange, must cover the flange evenly and not be excessive.

Locktite.JPG

Start torquing the bolts closest to the center of the crankcase and work outward.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To seal both mating powerhead surfaces apply anaerobic gasket maker (Loctite 518) to the cylinder block flange, must cover the flange evenly and not be excessive.

Start torquing the bolts closest to the center of the crankcase and work outward.

Happy Boating

Thanks! I'll try to find a tube on the way home. Carb has been sitting in Chicago for the past 5 days... International shipping ugh!

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the carb in yesterday. I'll put the powerhead back together and give it a whirl. Still need to get another head gasket, but for now I'll give the old one a shot and see what happens. I really want to see this thing run at this point lol. Plus my bass raider has been dry a bit too long lol. Will report after its together and running.

Texas Prowler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put it all back together and it runs like a top! Sounds like it has a pinch more grunt to it. I'll test it in a barrel tomorrow.