50HP EFI Merc quit while warming up before outing

benningtonr

Seaman
I have a 2005 50HP EFI Mercury outboard. I was at the house with the hose connected and was warming it up for an outing. When it just quit after maybe 4-5 min of run time. No gurgling or surging, it just quit. When trying to restart it turns over fine, but feels as if there is no spark. I disconnected and reconnected the strap to the Deadman switch, no luck. Any other ideas? The fuel tank was filled and had fuel treatment ran through it after our last outing three weeks ago. We have had no issues with the motor all summer.

Thanks for any and all help.

benningtonr

Seaman
This site used to be a treasure trove of help and wisdom, I guess all the knowledge has gone elsewhere. over a month, and not so much as a whisper of guidance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry we missed your post from a month ago and it dropped lower and lower with the thousands of posts since. Obviously you weren't concerned enough to bump the thread after a couple of days. And we get the blame. :confused:

But I digress - No spark. Have you checked for spark?

Built-in tank or portable tank? In either case, open the filler cap. Is the bulb firm when you prime?

tommarvin

Ensign
Remove the plugs, syringe in an ounce of fuel, the motor will be flooded the first few crank overs, but when she fires and tries to run you know its another dirty fuel system which is a mental error, all mental errors can be avoided.
If a sensor breaks that's bad luck.

benningtonr

Seaman
Sorry we missed your post from a month ago and it dropped lower and lower with the thousands of posts since. Obviously you weren't concerned enough to bump the thread after a couple of days. And we get the blame. :confused:

But I digress - No spark. Have you checked for spark?

Built-in tank or portable tank? In either case, open the filler cap. Is the bulb firm when you prime?

Sorry I didn't want to be one that keeps moving my post on top of others. I was just shocked that there were no tips or advice. This place has always been fairly quick to give useful advice and/or suggestions. I will keep you advice in mind next time though,

Thank you

benningtonr

Seaman
Remove the plugs, syringe in an ounce of fuel, the motor will be flooded the first few crank overs, but when she fires and tries to run you know its another dirty fuel system which is a mental error, all mental errors can be avoided.
If a sensor breaks that's bad luck.

The fuel system is brand new, from the tank to the fuel pump. Only thing that wasn't replaced last summer was the lines to each injector. But it is worth a shot, thank you and I will report back my findings.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry I didn't want to be one that keeps moving my post on top of others. I was just shocked that there were no tips or advice. This place has always been fairly quick to give useful advice and/or suggestions. I will keep you advice in mind next time though,

Thank you

A single post in a new thread can easily be overlooked. If it happens again, just make a simple "Anything Guys" post to make it more visible again. It doesn't take long for threads to sink and bumps help.

I missed that you have EFI, so Faztbullet's listen for fuel pump sounds is a good start. I'm not real familiar with your EFI, so I don't know if fuel pressure can be checked easily.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You shouldn't have to crank it to hear the pump, just roll the key to Run and it will run the pump for 5 sec.
You should also hear the horn test.
There is a Schraeder valve that you can use to check fuel pressure.

If there is a problem (like the oil px switch staying open), the ECM will prevent the engine running/starting by disabling the ignition.
On injected engines, it's important to look for spark first. Then you can figure out whether it's incapable of spark or being commanded not to.

The very first thing you need to do (even before your OP) is to confirm whether you've lost fuel or spark. You can't troubleshoot any further until you know that.

benningtonr

Seaman
pump did start with key turned on. Found a blown fuse for th ignition, going to start tracing that system now and locate an exposed wire or pinched wire. Hopefully i locate something cheap.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pop a new fuse in there and try to start it. If that blows it again, there's a specific issue...details escape me for the moment. I'm out of town on a Volvo course right now but I can look it up when I get home next week.
Anyone else know the fault I'm talking about ? Open diode I think ?...

benningtonr

Seaman
Pop a new fuse in there and try to start it. If that blows it again, there's a specific issue...details escape me for the moment. I'm out of town on a Volvo course right now but I can look it up when I get home next week.
Anyone else know the fault I'm talking about ? Open diode I think ?...

I am going to do this Sat,
Thanks