2017 Mercury 4hp to 6hp Help

I?ve been conducting a lot of research on 4hp to 6hp. I have a 1236 Topper and my 2017 Mercury 4hp Four Stroke is not doing the job. I have read post on this Forum that has older motor conversions and different part numbers. My question is how do I know the what carburetor I need to make my Mercury a 6hp? I have a friend that can order the carburetor we just don?t know which one to buy. He tells me it?s listed by serial numbers and the list is showing three. Can anyone help with what carburetor will fit my 2017 Mercury. I have looked all across the net and have came up with nothing. Thanks guys!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There may be other differences besides the carb. Camshaft may be slightly different, valves, even the cylinder head or pistons.
A 50% increase in power sounds like a lot but it is only two hp, and depending on the boat, it may not even be noticeable

I?ve checked all motors and everything is the same, the power is decreased by using smaller carb and jets. My boat is a 1236 topper made by tracker. The 4hp is so weak it won?t plane out and points at the sky. I?m just looking for a little more push to get me moving. I just bought this motor and don?t wanna spend another 2k on a 8 hp Mercury 😞

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Ask over in the tohatsu forum, same motor, they can supply part numbers.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The catalog shows the three carbs as 4, 5, and 6 hp. The 6 hp should be 3303-804766A05. Verify by serial number with your dealer.

The catalog shows the three carbs as 4, 5, and 6 hp. The 6 hp should be 3303-804766A05. Verify by serial number with your dealer.

Thanks for the help guys, I?m in hard thought over buying a carb or buying a 2017 8 hp Mercury from Bass Pro. I just want my boat to plane out and run smooth...... Just worried about the hassle of selling my 2017 Mercury 4hp........

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The 6hp may not get it on plane, if it doesn't it really won't go any faster.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What's the maximum HP rating for the boat? That alone would be an indicator of what you need for power.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The newer tracker 1236 hull is only rated for 5 hp. Is it legal to over power a boat in NC ?

It likely won't plane out with any motor, due to the shape and footprint of the hull.
Been there, tried that.

Ended up with a slightly larger 1448.
Because of its larger footprint in the water, it dispersed the weight over a larger surface area, the boat sat on top of the water, not down in the water. It was virtually "on plane" just sitting still.
Did very well with a 40 year old 9 1/2 Johnson.
And was almost too fast with a 15 hp, even though it was rated for 25.

The newer tracker 1236 hull is only rated for 5 hp. Is it legal to over power a boat in NC ?

It likely won't plane out with any motor, due to the shape and footprint of the hull.
Been there, tried that.

Ended up with a slightly larger 1448.
Because of its larger footprint in the water, it dispersed the weight over a larger surface area, the boat sat on top of the water, not down in the water. It was virtually "on plane" just sitting still.
Did very well with a 40 year old 9 1/2 Johnson.
And was almost too fast with a 15 hp, even though it was rated for 25.

NC is awesome lol we can run what ever motor we want no regulation. I ordered the 6hp carburetor and will try it out. If
it doesn?t plane then I?ll go to bass pro and get me a 9 hp or 10 hp and let my Topper eat that lol. So tired of trying to displace the weight and get this boat to plane out. Hope this works I have a lot of money in this 12W Topper. I?ll post a picture of it below.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, you failed to mention that you've added 300# of weight to this boat.
That, along with you in the boat, will put it near/at/or over weight capacity.
The boat in the video is empty.
I think you hopes of getting up on plane and cruising across the water are all but dreams at this point.
More power may work, but going up to a 9.9 will add another 30# to the stern.

Well, you failed to mention that you've added 300# of weight to this boat.
That, along with you in the boat, will put it near/at/or over weight capacity.
The boat in the video is empty.
I think you hopes of getting up on plane and cruising across the water are all but dreams at this point.
More power may work, but going up to a 9.9 will add another 30# to the stern.

The boat is light I can still pick it up, we take it on and off trailer all the time. The floor is made of aluminum and weighs right at 4#. The trolling motor is another small amount of weight and two batteries, one in front one in back. I took that front chair off and just have front deck no seat. I?m gonna take it to my friends weight station and get weight of boat.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I upgraded my 4HP 6 HP and it made quite a difference. The other think you need to know is that without the right prop, you may not even be getting 4HP out of your current engine. I swapped my prop to a 6 pitch, but it is also called a "Sail-pro" prop. high-thrust prop so it's designed to push a heavier boat. This combo gets my dingy up on plane with two people, a dog and a cooler.

I upgraded my 4HP 6 HP and it made quite a difference. The other think you need to know is that without the right prop, you may not even be getting 4HP out of your current engine. I swapped my prop to a 6 pitch, but it is also called a "Sail-pro" prop. high-thrust prop so it's designed to push a heavier boat. This combo gets my dingy up on plane with two people, a dog and a cooler.[/QUOTE

I bought my motor brand new from bass pro so my prop is stock I guess...