I broke my 60 HP four stroke charging system

PickyBiker

Cadet
I replaced the starting battery in my 2015 Mercury Four Stroke 60 HP and accidentally reversed the cables. Didn't see a spark or hear anything and when I turned the key on, nothing happened. I figured out what I had done wrong and corrected it. The engine and gauges all work fine, but it isn't charging the battery. I checked the fuses at the battery and they are fine.

Are there other fuses in the engine and if not, what component is most likely broke?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think there a fuse under the cowl. I don't know where it is. If no fuse then, most likely the rectifier/regulator bit the dust. The R/R acts like a fuse when the battery is reversed.

PickyBiker

Cadet

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw 4 or 5 times reversing wires on 60 EFI and every times one fuse blow repeatly and cant operate starter until changing the protection diode.

​Youre seems different problems .but You can check the diode whit a hometer.

PickyBiker

Cadet
I do not have a problem with the starter. The motor starts just fine. The problem is in the battery charging circuit. The battery does not charge when the motor is running.

tommarvin

Ensign
I would test everything with a multimeter, its on youtube
And CDIelectronics.com explains everything.on there site,
Dont feel bad I did the same thing on a Force 125, there was a push button on a breaker and it was fixed.
I quickly wrapped red tape around the positive battery lead.