Quick Question on a 1977 Mercury 500.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update!...............................................Just reassembled my motor ( Installed the lower unit), and want to check for proper shift (forward, neutral and reverse). I have always started it to check but want to know how I can tell if I don't start it. As I write, the shift lever fully forward I get a healthy click turning the prop clockwise and no spin counter-clockwise. Neutral lever lets the prop spin both ways and reverse lever fully back will allow no movement at all. Is this proper?

Last edited:

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, racerone. I'll put some oil in the lower unit and get it ready for the lake test. I rebuilt the lower to alleviate water in the gears. Even went so far as to replace the prop shaft. Hope it all works. We shall soon see.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, guess what. Water is back in the lower and I am baffled since I borrowed a tester and it didn't leak. Just gave in and took it to a mechanic this morning and it was pumped up and "appeared" to hold. The guy with the oily fingers turned the drive shaft and poof, the charge was gone. After a bit of discussion which amounted to whining and denial on my part, we decided to take it apart. We found that there was a bit of rust on the shaft inside the pump where the seal sat and a real rough groove where the seal would make contact and fail with each use. They gave me a decent price for the work which includes a sleeve for the shaft that it needed, so I left it there. I about took the motor off and looked for another. Glad I took it in. The reason I am posting this up is to give someone else another thing to suspect when doing a pressure test. Later.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you rebuilt the unit, didn't you inspect the areas on the shafts where the seals ride? You did learn a valuable lesson about rebuilding, Inspection of the parts.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jimmbo- This whole experience has been valuable. On this particular motor, one of the carbs was rebuilt 3 times the wiring replaced and a stator and switchbox replaced. I also replaced the seals in the rest of the lower unit and the bearing carrier and prop shaft. The only thing i'm ashamed of is that I didn't learn this stuff in my 20's instead of my 70s.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Nothing to be ashamed of. Things learned the hard way have a tendency to never be forgotten, which is why i said it was a valuable learning experience

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Loved my 500 and merc 45 Classic 50 great engine but... now I love my ETEC 75 more :)

the 500 was a smooth troller and great skyer puller in my younger days

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I learned many a valuable experience with the many Merc 500’s 350 750 that I’ve operated over the many years on the big muddy.......THEY MAKE GREAT ANCHORS!!!!! Sorry to all those who love em but damn it they’re just wore out

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Loved my 500 and merc 45 Classic 50 great engine but... now I love my ETEC 75 more :)

the 500 was a smooth troller and great skyer puller in my younger days

The trolling part was easy for mine when I bought it. It spent time on a no wake lake. So many things were wrong with it that weren't apparent when I bought it but as soon as "normal" was attempted, things started to show up. The degradation of the wiring and fuel lines gave me a huge headache and the lower taking on water was the real challenge since I missed the groove in the drive shaft. I did change the prop shaft because of the groove in it. So many lessons, so little time.