Solenoid repeadily clicking - starter engages but not strong enough

Kerr2121

Recruit
So o have a 25 hp bigfoot 2002. When I try to start the starter turns on rises up and engages to flywheel. It only turns it a little then dies out. If I put the voltmetrr on the starter it's starts at 12.x and drops to 4v once it gets going. The solenoid is constantly clicking meaning it's definitely not outing out the full voltage. I've tried a couple batteries. Pulled one I knew worked outta my wakeboard boat and it still failed. Tried new starter. Is the solenoid causing this? Do the relays even affect the output of the Solenoid? Or is this a thing between the battery solenoid and starter only. Cleaned battery leads already as well from battery to solenoid to starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Bad battery(load test). Bad, dirty starter, low compression on 1 cyl.
Check the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd start with charging and/or testing the battery(ies) to make sure they're fully charged and still outputting enough amps.

Then check the wires. If water got inside the jacketing it can corrode the wires out over time. Solenoids are fairly inexpensive, so you can try replacing that if everything is fine and all contact points are clean and free of dirt and corrosion.

Kerr2121

Recruit
Yup... I had checked the positive side but not the grounds.... Ground wasn't good. Golden now.