1995 20hp fast idle lever

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I bought a new lever and idle wire. The wire was missing and the groove in the lever was damaged and it would not move while turning the knob. The new lever is part number 12805 3. It seems to be the correct one. But the old one is part number 12805 4.The new one molds around the carb and the carb cover and the old one bends away from the carb and the fuel line is in the way and the wire does not pass it. The biggest issue is the the wire does not advance the timing because it is too long. The picture of the idle wire is with the knob turned fully to the right. The last picture is the old lever.

Attachments

• photo269158.jpg
    photo269158.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269159.jpg
    photo269159.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269160.jpg
    photo269160.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269161.jpg
    photo269161.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have the wrong lever.
12805 4LEVER-FAST IDLE (1 required per assembly) (20/25) SN# USA-0G437999/BEL-9926999 & Below

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes I just put the old one on and pulled it forward and it pulls tight. But it does rub on the fuel line though.My first time ordering merc parts and I still find it confusing. I did not see the part number until after I removed it. Do you think the other lever will work if I shorten the wire? I only found one 12805 4 online and it is 22 dollars US. So with shipping and exchange it will be 50 dollars Canadian. The lever and wire I bought cost 10 dollars US combined, but with shipping and exchange it cost me almost 30 dollars. And I had to wait almost 2 weeks to get them.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I just looked at the Mercury marine website and it appears that it is NLA. Also Iboats does not have it as well as many other part sites are listing it as NLA.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If the wire is not popping out of it just use it the way it is. Or use epoxy to repair the old one. I would cut the wire as a last resort because you may not get the movement you need.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Is the wire meant to pull the trigger forward or just snug up against it? The reason I ask is the timing link is holding the trigger and the wire can not pull it forward.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
-That is for the fast idle when you start it it will pull the assembly forward.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Okay thanks and sorry for the stupid questions. Right now in the summer I just prime it and go, but Last year I fished until freeze up and I had problems until it warmed up. Someone has offered me more than what I paid for this motor and I think I might sell it. Where I am it is hard to find long shaft motors in the lower horse power range. A little off topic but do you know what the difference is with a Merc sea pro? I did notice it has side shift, which is more my style. I have been looking at a 30hp sea pro which I think is a 2012 model. Are these good motors? Again thanks you have been very helpful.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The 2012 merc sea pro is more resistant to salt water. It is also built by tohatsu and is an excellent motor.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

-That is for the fast idle when you start it it will pull the assembly forward.

Well I think I know why I am having problems to get the fast idle functioning. As I mentioned in post 9 the trigger is being held fully forward by the timing link. The link is in no way attached to the throttle. I think I am missing something and the previous owner just locked the trigger forward. By looking at other similar motors I would assume the trigger should be connected in some way to the throttle linkage. Sorry about the sideways photos again, they are not that way on my phone but for some reason they are sideways after I put them on the computer.

Attachments

• photo269908.jpg
    photo269908.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269909.jpg
    photo269909.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269910.jpg
    photo269910.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That ignition system is unique because the stator is held in place permanently by that rod. The timing curve is built into the switch box I don't have the manual for that ignition system.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
So I guess that is why it needs a different fast idle lever and idle wire then. Do you have any idea how the fast idle works then? Because the idle wire does nothing the way it is. What you say about the timing curve built into the switch box makes sense because other then no fast idle function it runs very well.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

I was looking through the photos I took of the motor just after I bought it. And the idle wire was there and it was going down on an angle. I also saw a drawing in a Mercury manual and it also goes down on an angle. I repaired the old lever as was suggested and cut the idle wire and attached to the cam follower. It works well and when the motor is throttled up the cam follower is not inhibited by the wire. It is pretty sensitive though and when starting if I leave the primer fully out it revs too high. Anyone seeing this feel free to comment if you think this is not right.

Attachments

• photo270492.jpg
    photo270492.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would guess the wire is to short. But that does look right. If the wire is to short it may interfere with the high speed running.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I left enough on the hook I made to make it a little longer. The cam follower does move freely to full throttle and then back to idle smoothly. I cant seem to find the right wire number 825063 it is NLA. EDIT Also I have the screw turned fully in on the lever so I can probably back that out to give the wire some slack.

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

My bilge pump was making some noise like something was stuck in it. And when I removed the pump to check I found the idle wire stuck under the pump. So now I have a template and I was able to shape the one I made . Now I have a two.

Attachments

• photo278570.jpg
    photo278570.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0