2016 Mercury Verado 200 HP L4

Bad Medicine

Recruit
I recently purchased a new boat with the above engine on it one Friday afternoon. That Sunday, I took it out for a spin on a small lake 3.5 miles long by 1.5 miles wide and ran the motor for what the mechanics say to be 2.2 hrs. I was fishing, so most of the work load on the motor was moving from 10' of water to 40', with four instances of moving to another spot all together. The motor was still in it's break in period, so I moderated the speed every two minutes or so. Long story short, as I was slowing, coming to doc the boat, the engine stalled once at idle and would not start. The smart multifunction gauge indicated "low battery voltage" and "low regulator voltage". I subsequently took it into a mercury dealer, who told me the supercharger unit froze sending metal shavings throughout the motor. As such, the power head needed to be replaced. They informed me that the failure was likely due to a faulty gear. Does anyone know how this is possible?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It's a machine, it can break. While the supercharger is belt driven, a pair of gears drive the vanes which do the compression. Metal made it's way from the S/C to the intake manifold and into the engine.

How well is Mercury taking care of you?

Bad Medicine

Recruit
Mercury appears to be taking good care of me, replacing the power head per the warranty. However, I am disappointed in the company that sold me the boat. They originally told me via text & verbally on the day of that it was the six cylinder Verado. Once this problem came up, I found out it's the four cylinder. So...overall, the seller pulled a bait and switch on me, the motor broke, and my $50k new toy now sits in the backyard of a dealership for at least four weeks waiting to be fixed:-( Don't mean to be gloom....but you have to admit, this is almost enough to steer a person away from boating altogether. I am still waiting on a response from the seller, whom I hope will make this right by taking back the four cylinder and replacing it with the six; thereby, cutting my maintenance time in half and making good on our original agreement. What would you do if in my shoes?

Rs,

BM