Testing Trim Solenoid

g_speran

Seaman
Looking for information on testing and troubleshooting a trim solenoid. Back in 2012 I replaced this exact one , the up solenoid. In all honesty, the boat has not been on the water since and has been started several times a year and is covered. However, once again, the up solenoid seems not to be working. There is not even a click sound. The down solenoid works as expected.

I have removed the solenoid completely. I am looking for information on how to test if this solenoid is good/bad or indifferent.

Thanks in advance
Gary

Attachments

• photo225968.jpg
    photo225968.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
12volts applied to the small lugs, no polarity needed, ohm meter across large lugs . activate solenoid, look for 0 ohms on large lugs

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I'd use some caution on the polarity issue. Polarity doesn't matter only if the solenoid is isolated (has all the wiring removed). If testing with circuitry still in place, make sure you're following a wiring diagram for your particular system. - Grandad

g_speran

Seaman
No Title

BT Doctor.....

I am a bit confused. Are you stating to connect the battery directly to "A" and "B" on the solenoid as in this picture (attached)

I was originally thinking that I would connect the battery + (positive terminal) to 'D' and the battery - (negative terminal) to 'A'. I know the 'C' would connect to the hydraulic pump, so for testing purposes this terminal may not be needed in the test. But what do I connect 'C' to for testing?

Attachments

• photo225977.jpg
    photo225977.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
If there's no click, the solenoid is probably fine and you got good advice for testing it above. Assuming the solenoid is OK: Try the trailer switch, if that works but the up button does not, check your trim limit switch and then your up switch. If those are ok, there must be a proiblem with the bue/white wire or the 3 counductor round connector near the trim pump. It will have red/purple, green/white and blue/white wires on both sides. It can't be anything else because the down button works ruling out system-level power and ground issues.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I believe that this solenoid doesn't have any internal connections between the A/B terminals and the C/D terminals. A and D feed a relay coil that pulls in a set of contacts closing terminals C and D. Powering A and D with 12 volts should produce an audible click when the relay contacts join terminals C and D together. - Grandad

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
A and B are connected to opposite ends of a electromagnet coil that when energized, causes C and D to short together. A and B are electrically isolated from C and D, inside the solenoid, but they may share a common connection in the wiring outside the solenoid.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
OK fellas, the 2 small lugs are for the coil. polarity dosent matter when its disconnected ,in the boat you will find a yellow/ w red stripe
on one lug and a black on the other lug. Energized the coil pull a copper plate connecting the 2 large lugs.

When uses as a trim solenoid the yellow w/ stripe is replaced by the blue w/ a white stripe or a green w/ a white stripe. the other small lug is a black wire for ground. The 2 large lugs are 12v power and the trim motor`s blue or green motor wire

When used as a slave solenoid, the small lugs are yellow w/ red stripe and black wire is ground. The 2 large lugs are Red w/ purple stripe and Yellow w/ red stripe

g_speran

Seaman
No Title

OK, well I got my answer. The solenoid is shot.

Here is what I did. I reconnect everything as it should have been; Up (Blue) solenoid on top and Down (Green) solenoid on bottom. Connected the wires as they were prior.

Down still worked, up still did not. I then on the down solenoid jumped from 'F' to 'H' and it clicked as expected. Retest down and all is still good. On the Up solenoid I jumped from 'C' to 'B'. There was no click but there was a faint arc. So I had nothing to loose.

I completely removed the up solenoid and disassembled it. To my surprise, black liquid came dripping out. At this point I knew it may be shot. I continue to disassemble everything and clean everything the best I can. Once I started to reassemble it, there was a fundamental part that was missing; the spring. This was not salvageable and renders the solenoid useless.

Off to Iboats to get another new one. This time I am going to build some type of cover for these solenoids. Apparently rain water has gotten in and fallen onto the solenoids (more than once it seems)

Ordering http://www.iboats.com/Solenoid-18-5...813.130--session_id.108006422--view_id.172066
  • MERCURY MARINE 89-96158
  • MERCURY MARINE 89-96158T
Attaching a couple of pictures. Maybe this post and pictures will assist someone in the future as well.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• photo225992.png
    photo225992.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo225993.jpg
    photo225993.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo225994.JPG
    photo225994.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo225995.JPG
    photo225995.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo225996.JPG
    photo225996.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo225997.jpg
    photo225997.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Apparently rain water has gotten in and fallen onto the solenoids (more than once it seems)

Ayuh,..... Them's Nasty,..... They've been swimmin', Way to often,....

Donno 'bout covers,.... Maybe just find the leak,.....