Please Help!! Replaced the water pump in out drive now grindes when shifting

cmckinney

Recruit
Hello everyone my name is chase I bought my first boat about a month ago and it is a 1987 wellcraft 190 with the 165 4 cyl. I had to replace the impeller in the outdrive. I got it switches out put the new impeller in the housing then put everything back together. I had a hard time getting what I believe to be the spline for the transmission to line back up. Once I finally got everything together I tighten all the bolts and replaces the gear oil. This is were my problem started, I started the boat ( yes it was hooked up to water) and let it run for a few minutes then tried to place it in forward and it started grinding then went in and no more grinding. I placed it back in netural and went to place in reverse and it did the same grinding noise. Before I replaced the impeller I never had any problems with shifting in to forward or reverse. What could have I done to make this happen. Any help with this would mean a lot, I am a first time boat owner and I'm trying to learn as I go. Tanks in adavance

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It never did that before? It's normal to grind a little if you shift into gear too slowly. You have ease it in and then gently but swiftly go the rest of the way until it pops into gear.

NHGuy

Captain
The shift cable should move very easily. try it with the engine not running. Poconojoe is right about shifting. You just move it from neutral to gear with authority. There's no slipping the gears, they just grab. If you shift slowly the grinding is wear. So shift quickly.

cmckinney

Recruit
no it never did it before I could put it in forward and slowly speed up now has soon as it bumbs into gear it starts the grinding. I was wondering if were is connects if it could get out of sync. Because where it connects in the upper gear case fell down so I placed it back up in it and turned it till it locked in place. I did not know if I had messed up how it synced in to it or not. I am pretty sure that I lined all the splines up.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It might be a coincedence you started having shifting problems after changing the impeller. I would try to adjust shifting per factory manual.