Alpha one sticky shifting and shift assistance plunger

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys

Having some issues adjusting out my new shift cable. I am planning on pulling the drive off again and inspecting the shift mechanism due to it being kinda sticky and killing the motor when I try to shift from forward to neutral. The action on the new cable feels like it's binging. I might have bent it slightly when I put on the drive. Regardless,it's not right and I want a trouble free summer of shifting which leads me to my question.

Something I noticed is that I believe my model year (1988) does not have a shift assist cylinder on the switch plate. Does anyone know if I can just buy one and install it or do I have to get a whole new switch plate.

Would it be worth spending the extra cash on this if it's possible?

I gotta tell you I cannot stand pulling up to dock and stalling because of this sticky shifting issue.It's embarrassing and sometimes a dangerous situation if you cannot restart and get yourself back under control fast enough.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you can, your step -by- step install of the cable. Is the shift interrupter stalling the motor or making the motor stumble?

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
If I am holding the cable in my hand free of all mechanical interference other than the installed drive it is not a smooth transition between forward and reverse. Also, if I install the shift cable in the assembly with the upper shift cable unhooked, it's very difficult to move. When I installed the drive, I managed to have the shift slide get caught outside of the housing. It slightly bent the cabe. I straightened it out the best I could but it feels as if that is the problem.

I ordered a new internal cabe and will just replace the inside of it and attempt the re adjustment all over again.

My real question is this shift assist device...does anyone know if I can retro fit it to my shift mechanism?

I find that even on the best days this mercuiser shift system leaves something to be desired and can only assume this "shift assist" is an engineering band aid to correct this disaster of a shift system.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
the not so smooth transition of the sticky cable is causing the stall switch to engage when i attempt to switch out of forward to neutral.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You mis-understood the question. If you didn't route it correctly it will bind, if you didn't turn the outer sheath as you tightened the nut you can damage the casing and inner plastic core. If you tightened the allen screw too tight in the slide it will affect the shifting. Cannot understand even how you could catch the shift slide outside the housing.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I tightened the cable in the bell housing that was OFF the gimble housing. I was doing a whole gimble bearing,all 3 bellows and a impeller replacment with the shift cable.

I slid the cable in the transom....following the route of the old cable...when I installed the 3 bellows.

The slide bar came out when I was fighting with the drive BECAUSE I did not adjust the gimble bearing with the rod (trying to save a buck...didn't work out) the drive didn't want to go in because of the gimble alignment was incorrect.

The slide bar got pinched in the middle of the port where the shift rod is...can happen....did happen...a lot of grease and not paying proper attention.

I get where you are going but I have a clue. I know what the issue is. I really should have just kept it out of the topic

like I said,on it's best days that setup is acceptable. Just about all of the mercuisers that I have driven with that setup have these on and off stalling issues.

anyhow, dose anyone have input on the shift assist?

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Also,

The slide nut is properly backed out with the safety wire installed correctly.

thumpar

Admiral
I have never had stalling problems with a Mercruiser that had things setup right. Take the drive off and see if the cable is still binding.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you bent the cable you may need to replace the whole thing. Like thumpar said, you need to route the cable properly for it to work smooth. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...lpha-one-gen-1

Read the installation instructions. The lower cable is set to 6" on the dot! Any shifting issues you adjust the other cable or slide adjustment to engage reverse.

Also, you really can't just shift from forward to reverse, you need to spin the prop to engage into gear.

Last edited:

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I bent the end..just outside of the slide and underneath the plastic protector. I bent it back and you could still see a bit of distortion. I slid it back and forth before I finally put the drive back on and you could feel the resistance where the bend was. I was hoping for the best and I am getting the worst.

Funny thing about this post is I KNOW why the resistance is there...I also installed the cable according to the manual,although I waited to adjust the brass barrel and install it until after the drive was on (my only real variation from instructions) my real question was about the shift assist. Nowhere in this post was I asking why this binding was occurring...everyone ASSUMED I did something wrong.

Once again, I am asking kindly,does anybody have some input on this shift assist and does it make sense to install one if I DO NOT have one on my shift plate.

I actually ordered one on EBAY this morning...if it helps then great, if not then I am out $24.00

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '88 Alpha One and don't use any sort of shift assist. Do you have a link?

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
quick update,

Changed the cable this weekend and now it's smooth as silk. The cable I removed was bent in 2 spots. I purchased the shift assist plunger but will not install it.

I can see why this shift assist device exists, but only for lower cables that are on their way out.