Mercruiser acceleration/fuel pump issue for Ski Centurion

dmello

Recruit
I have a 2000 ski centurion, mercruiser inboard. I recently had my boat serviced through a dealer: ATF change, fuel separator, impeller, filter and oil. They ran a compression test on my boat and the spark plugs are all good. Since I've picked the boat up I am having issues, that I have not had before...

The boat runs great in idle and neutral; however, once the boat is under load it begins bogging out and within seconds dies (it seemed to run fine in 5 mph). I tried this twice. The first time I had to get towed back into the docks, the second time I pull the throttle back into idle mode and 'limped' my way back into the docks. I am having issues locating the problem. Any assistance on where to begin or similar issues?

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to iboats!:)

Is your engine carbureted or fuel injection & what engine model do you have? Have the Mercruiser engine serial number handy?

Was the distributor cap and rotor replaced? Maybe the spark plug wires (firing order) are out of order.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2000 ski centurion, mercruiser inboard. I recently had my boat serviced through a dealer: ATF change, fuel separator, impeller, filter and oil. They ran a compression test on my boat and the spark plugs are all good. Since I've picked the boat up I am having issues, that I have not had before...

The boat runs great in idle and neutral; however, once the boat is under load it begins bogging out and within seconds dies (it seemed to run fine in 5 mph). I tried this twice. The first time I had to get towed back into the docks, the second time I pull the throttle back into idle mode and 'limped' my way back into the docks. I am having issues locating the problem. Any assistance on where to begin or similar issues?

:welcome: to iboats

Sounds like you do have a fuel issue, so I would look for a fuel restriction or pressure. From it being able to limp back but not be able to even start to accelerate I believe you have a fuel injected issue. That said as it we do need verification of what you have to help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
K.I.S.S..... Keep It Simple... Look for the easy problems. I'm with Fun, the first thought that entered my head was cross plug wires. Those SBC engines are notorious for being able to idle smooth as silk with a couple of leads crossed. But under load they fall on their face. That would be the first thing I checked. And check it thoroughly. The leads can be easily 'lost' under the manifolds. Follow each one with your hand all the way from the dissy cap to the spark plug.

And we definiteyl need an engine serial number.... ;)

Chris........