No water exiting the transom exhaust ports at idle RPMS just hot air.

bmowers

Seaman
Bayliner 175BR 2008 Mercruiser 3.0, 135HP Alpha 1, Gen II drive. Runs 55 hours per year
I just did an impeller service on the lower unit using the Mercury drive kit. I also pulled the upper drive and checked the alignment, Bellows and Gimbal. I replaced the bell housing seal with the kit and all seals except main bell housing seal that looked perfect.
I put everything back together, observing the shifting level forward etc. All went well. and today I hooked up the garden hose at 3/4 volume on muffs and fired up the boat after a 6 month sleep. Started right up after 10 pumps of the throttle. engine temperature was pegged at 100 as usual and started to climb up to 175 at the top of the gauge. I hopped down to look at the water spitting out the the engine and noticed that the transom exhaust ports were NOT spitting out any water as they have always done the past two years I have owned the boat. Hot air was coming out and maybe a little steam. All the water seems to be coming out of the prop. I pulled the small quick release hose from the main water pipe that exits after the thermostat and no water going through it. Temp moved a needle past 175 and I shut it down. Now everything worked perfectly when I ended the season last October. Also, I pulled the blue water drains to see if the engine was getting water and yes, there was plenty of very warm water pouring out after shut down.
Questions :
1.) Is is possible that the impeller is not spinning freely? Can the cover be put on too tight? I snugged it down good but not overly tight.
2.) Could it be the thermostat not opening?

What else can I check. I don't think that water is circulating through the top of the engine now;.

Brian

wrench 3

Commander
I'm afraid that the only thing that comes to mind is, is the impeller drive key in place?

bmowers

Seaman
I'm afraid that the only thing that comes to mind is, is the impeller drive key in place?

Yes wrench, I am absolutely sure the impeller key is in place. I know because I remember putting some 2-4-C on it to keep it in place while sliding the impeller down over it. And I did test the function of it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Well, something is very wrong if your not pumping water. copper water tube in place? O rings on the guide tube?

Last edited:

bmowers

Seaman
Well, something is very wrong if your not pumping water. copper water tube in place? O rings on the guide tube?
Hmm, could be. Maybe the water tube completely missed the upper receiver and I only think they are attached. Guess that means that I will have to drain all that new Gear Lube Plus I put in. Should be no problem to re-use it.Maybe this time I will put the water tube in the upper first then attach that to the lower as I bolt it on.

I will sleep on it. Thanks.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Could the raw water hose have got kinked if you put the new one on, you have to trim quite a bit off the new hose.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
your supposed to install the water tube in the upper unit, install the plastic guide tube onto the impeller housing , and then mate the 2 units together

bmowers

Seaman
your supposed to install the water tube in the upper unit, install the plastic guide tube onto the impeller housing , and then mate the 2 units together
Bt,
Ok, Look at the photo attached once. This is a snap just before I installed it (except) I turned the bend forward instead of back as it shows. Maybe I missed the upper receiver or installed the water tube(s) incorrectly. I have to do the procedure differently this next time as you suggest. Alpha 1 Gen 2 2008 model. This is my first time changing out the impeller so I may have messed up.
Thanks.
Lower.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the copper water tube goes in the upper housing first, the guide tube goes on the impeller cover. when putting the units together you reach in between the units to make sure the water tube just enters the guide tube, remove your fingers and slide the units together and install the bolts

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
image_218509_zpsoaepjzvl.jpg

tednv

Seaman
i just did mine recently, alpha 1 gen 2 uses plastic tubes only, no copper. the trick is to take that top tube off and stick it up in the upper housing. then as you're pushing the lower unit up you have to line up the plastic tube with the lower part that has o-rings in it. you should also put some lubricant on the orings to make sure they're not damaged and the tube slips in easy. also make sure the little gear oil seal doesn't fall out of place when you're doing it. there's a pdf manual you can download for your outdrive, goes through the install process

also check to make sure your thermostat isn't stuck, they're cheap and usually a good idea to replace. you'll need a new gasket too when replacing it.

this is a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXq35NOX8kw

Last edited:

bmowers

Seaman
Ted, thanks for the video do it exactly the way you outlined. My outdrive is the same as yours with the plastic tubing. I am sure I probably didn't have that hooked up right. I will start it up tomorrow and see what happens. If the water starts spitting out of the transom exhausts I am golden.
Now here is a dumb question. I don't have drive oil in the lower unit at this point. Can I start it up quick and check the exhaust quick while the drive is in neutral? If waterflow is great then I'll fill the drive up. If I'm sure the water tubing is hooked up correctly and it still does not work I will look at the thermostat.
Thanks so much.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
even in neutral all the parts are still spinning without oil, do you feel lucky?
The video shows a copper tube not plastic?

Last edited:

bmowers

Seaman
even in neutral all the parts are still spinning without oil, do you feel lucky?
The video shows a copper tube not plastic?
No, I am not in a Clint Eastwood movie, so I do not feel lucky, LOL.
Ok, answers that. Will top off the oil then fire it up. My fingers are crossed. I know the water tubes are in correct alignment now, just finished. I put the upper part of the tube in first then connected the plastic bottom piece and everything went together and it is torqued down to 35 Ft/lbs

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If they went to plastic water tubes instead of copper, they really cheapened the product line. That area is where the hot exaust gases exit and although the gas is mixed with cooling water it still get hot enough to damage any plastic product.
In an overheat the plastic guide tube is deformed or obliterated and its only function it to "guide" the water inlet tube into the top of the pump housing.

bmowers

Seaman
SUCCESS !! I now have warm water pouring out of the transom exhaust ports. Very little coming out of the prop hub. The fact that the water is luke warm is a great sign. One note - When I put the halves back together (for the 2nd time now) I neglected to get the shift chute and shift level aligned. The shift shaft was pushing up an the chute from below and the drive whold not go into gear but I was able to see that the water tubes were connected. Yep, I drained the drive oil yet again and split the halves just enough that I did not have to seperate them completely maybe only 3/8 - 1/2", well that was enough to put the shifter in forward and align the chute and shift shaft. I snugged down all 6 bolts again and tested the shifting which was perfect then pulled out the boat, muffed it and fired it up. Immediately the water came pouring out of the transom ports and the shifting worked throughout its ranges fwd and reverse.

Well guys, with a heavy head I am saying that I took apart the upper/lower three times now and that is what it took to get it all right.

I would like to thank wrench 3, Bt Doctur,watermann and especially Tednv all led me on the right path ultimately. And I did not have to take the boat to the marina and admit defeat!

I am so thankful for this board!

tednv

Seaman
it's definitely a tricky job, a lot of things to line up and a bit heavy. glad it worked out for you and you got it done!!

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great feeling to do these repairs all on your own, glad you got it knocked out. I'm betting you hate the smell of gear oil about now. :lol:

bmowers

Seaman
Great feeling to do these repairs all on your own, glad you got it knocked out. I'm betting you hate the smell of gear oil about now. :lol:
You sir are reading my mind. Gear oil,gear oil, drain,save,drain,save, drain then save again and fill once more boy am I sick of the stuff!
Time to do some boating. Now if the lake warm up by next week..