replacement for 3.7

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Grady Tournament 223 has a bad mercruiser 485. I've done a lot of research on this engine so I'm well aware of it's idiosyncrasies and what needs to be done with the stringers for motor mount placement as well as what out drives to use if I switch to a V6 or 8. I'd like more power than what the 485 can give and really, a 4.3 is only an upgrade in reliability but not power. So, of the V configurations, what might be the better replacement--- 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7. A 5.0 might give 230 hp but weight 946 lbs whereas a 5.7 could be 260 HP at the same weight. Suggestions???? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
My Grady Tournament 223 has a bad mercruiser 485. I've done a lot of research on this engine so I'm well aware of it's idiosyncrasies and what needs to be done with the stringers for motor mount placement as well as what out drives to use if I switch to a V6 or 8. I'd like more power than what the 485 can give and really, a 4.3 is only an upgrade in reliability but not power. So, of the V configurations, what might be the better replacement--- 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7. A 5.0 might give 230 hp but weight 946 lbs whereas a 5.7 could be 260 HP at the same weight. Suggestions???? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... For Power to weight, the 4.3l, with Mpi, or a 4bbl. carb, 'n Vortec heads is a Great swap, as you can still use yer drive,....

The 5.0l ain't even an option, as the 4.3l can match it's horsepower, 'n is lighter,...

If ya wanta go 5.7l, Go for it, but yer gonna need another drive,...