Lower unit not bolting up...not the commons problems

petedw

Cadet
I have a pre-alpha outdrive that had an alpha 1 lower unit. I replaced the yoke end seal because I was getting gear oil in the bellows. I then changed the lower unit to a pre-alpha because the lower unit had a big crack in it. The lower unit I am using now has the pre load pin which shouldn't matter because the upper unit is a pre-alpha. when I try to put the upper and lower unit together they stick about 1/2 inch apart. I have tried without the water tube and made sure the shifting mechanisms are lined up. Finally I tried the old unit and am having the same problem. Is it possible for the gear in the upper unit to slide down. When I measure the length of the shaft it seems longer than the space I have. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!!

wrench 3

Commander
Is the O ring from the top of the old shaft stuck in the gear?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
how old was this pre-alpha? 2 driveshaft splines were used 8 and 13

wrench 3

Commander
Have you tried rotating the "U" joint shaft while pushing the two units together?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is your shift rod facing the write way? If its turned 180 degrees it gets pushed up against the upper.. Sorry hard to explain but check its facing the proper way

tzmanyndvl09

Cadet
Wrench 3 made a good point. The same thing happened to me. Get a friend to turn the motor by hand (make sure the battery is off or disconnected so no accidental starts) the splines might not be all the way lined up...or just turn the prop if you still have the prop on the lower unit.