Carburetor issues help

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It is possible the float valves are partially clogged and not filling the bowls fast enough to keep the engine running. After 5 min it runs out of fuel in the bowls and dies, let sit for a while and bowls fill back up and engine runs for 5 min again. As stated in post 16 if you did not take the top off you did not really do much cleaning. I am not carb expert but am old enough to own and work on cars and boats with carbs, I am in the process of rebuilding a similar carb for my project Sea Ray 7.4L

airshot

Rear Admiral
As it has been stated many times you need a thorough and complete tear down, clean and rebuild of the carburetor or you will just keep doing this over and over.
The only way to solve a problem is to "eliminate" one thing at a time. Without a thorough and complete rebuild of the carb you can't rule the carb out as the problem.

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,.... There's numbers stamped in the edge of the carb's forward corner, leadin' face, starboard side at it's base, just under the nut holdin' the carb on,....
Probably a 9600 xxxx

My Guess is, Quicksilver, #809065, or Carter #902-317A, or a carb kit for the edlebrock 1409 will fit, 'n work just Fine,....

when i search for the quicksilver kit i get ones that are about $120, and the carters/ edelbrock i get ones that are $45, will this one work its what showed up on a search

Bondo

Staff member
when i search for the quicksilver kit i get ones that are about $120, and the carters/ edelbrock i get ones that are $45, will this one work its what showed up on a search

Ayuh,..... That's appears to be the same kit, I'm puttin' into that carb today,.....

Tanked it day 'fore yesterday, figurin' out which needles, 'n jets I need, as it's goin' on a different motor,....
Hopin' to put it back together today, or tomorrow,...

It's Crazy to buy Merc parts for these carbs, when the Edelbrock parts are exactly the same, at 1/2 the price,.....

Last edited:

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your dripping fuel down the venturis at idle, your carb is still crudded up. Those small metering valve springs get old, weak and require constant cleaning. These carbs will come apart really easy but you have to change these small parts out so that the small valves will completely open and close in the carburetor. It was a yearly thing for me with the cruddy gas. The new Edelbrock has run great now for 2 years. It was worth the $400 bucks. Bondo is also right about 1.5 - 2 turns out on the idle mixture valves should get you idling fine. Once you go past idle with the throttle though, they do not play any role in how the fuel is metered. That's why they are idle mixture screws. Make sure those small intake screens are clean in the fuel bowls. I personally just ripped them off my carburetor because I already have an upstream fuel filter.

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good news, I pulled the pickup line for the gas tank and there was a little screen at the bottom of the elbow, all clogged and full of junk, cleaned that. Then I got the edelbrock rebuild kit and did that, now I finally got the idle down to 800 RPM. Goes in gear now. Now i just have to put it in the water and make sure it runs under a heavy load

Bondo

Staff member
Good news, I pulled the pickup line for the gas tank and there was a little screen at the bottom of the elbow, all clogged and full of junk, cleaned that. Then I got the edelbrock rebuild kit and did that, now I finally got the idle down to 800 RPM. Goes in gear now. Now i just have to put it in the water and make sure it runs under a heavy load

Ayuh,.... Glad ya found the crud,...... Spec is 650/ 750, rpms, at idle, in gear, in the water,...