MC1 to Bravo 2 Conversion

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How far off are the transom holes and cut-out of an MC 1 if I was to remove that and install a Bravo 2 transom assembly in place? Do any of the holes line up? Would the cutout for the MC1 need to be glassed up and then a new cutout made, or is the bolt pattern / cutout of the Bravo wider overall and so would be drilled in fresh transom area? Is an adapter plate available so no extra drilling or cutting is required? Thinking about petrol to diesel conversion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You'll need to drill 2 more holes,.....

alldodge

Staff member
How far off are the transom holes and cut-out of an MC 1 if I was to remove that and install a Bravo 2 transom assembly in place? Do any of the holes line up? Would the cutout for the MC1 need to be glassed up and then a new cutout made, or is the bolt pattern / cutout of the Bravo wider overall and so would be drilled in fresh transom area? Is an adapter plate available so no extra drilling or cutting is required? Thinking about petrol to diesel conversion. Thanks.

This guy did it and has the info for what he did.
http://www.allardmarine.com/alpha_to_bravo_conversion.htm

thumpar

Admiral
The Alpha style to Bravo swap is not a huge deal but you will need to find a diesel that is compatible and has parts available to mate up to the Bravo.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I have my eye on a complete used 4.2L / 220hp six cylinder Merc diesel and Bravo 2 installation. I currently run a Merc 228 / 5.0L petrol and SEI Alpha style drive. Bondo, are you saying that all but two of the existing holes will be reusable, and the existing cutout won't need to be modified? Any guess what the additional extra weight would be over my current engine / drive?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The original MC-1 (pre-1972?) cutout needs a little modifying (not a lot), and 2 new holes banged in at the top. After 72 you just need the 2 holes at the top.

What year is the current MC-1? The easiest way to tell them apart is the gimbal ring. If the gimbal ring has the trim senders mounted on it, it's the later model; if it has the trim senders mounted inside the boat, it's the earlier model.

Weights...
305GM-V8 (your current '228'): Approx 930lbs
4.2L/220 Diesel w/B2 drive: Approx 1235lbs

Chris.......

Last edited: